peerless trani's drive shaft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeshere89, Nov 20, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

when it rains it poors, just broke my tranni's drive shaft on a 36 exmark walk behind, has this happend to anyone else? if so how the heck do u get the drive shaft out of the tranni?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I own one of these, however, I dont understand how the shaft broke given that the belt will slip before enough force is exerted to break the shaft. How exactly did it happen? I need to know this so that I can look out for this potential problem.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They don't have "driveshafts".

They have an input shaft (from engine), and TWO output shafts. One on each side that connects with a splined coupler that drives the wheel belts.

You mean one of these "broke"?

BROKE, how?

Snapped, stripped, woodruff key shear?

IF it is "BROKE", your probably better off just buying a new one from J-Thomas or some mail order for $170

Not even worth the time to repair IMHO.

By the time they "BREAK" there are 10 other parts inside well on the way to being worn out.

Let us know.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to open the tranny it's pretty straight forward.

First remove the bolts holding the two halves together.

Second you will see an allen screw recessed into a boss that points at the shifter shaft. Remove the screw and a spring and a ball should come out. If the ball doesn't come out don't sweat it. Just don't loose it.

Then you can seperate the two halves of the tranny.

5. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

yes the output shaft broke basically snapped off how i dont know, i was using the bagger with alot of wieight in it going at an angle mowing, what happen first was the tire went flat, i fixed that and then i noticed the shaft broken. the parts are relatively cheap, 35 dollars for the shaft and the collar that it fits in to (where the zert fitting is)

6. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

TLS, They have only one output shaft that runs all the way through the transmission . Its splined on both ends.fyi