Peerless Tranny on Metro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by lawngator, Jun 24, 2002.

1. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I just bought an old Exmark 48 Metro (ser# 91348). The peerless tranny is shot and I can't find a number anywhere on it. I'm sure it's a 700 series, so how crucial is it to get the same tranny. For example, What's the difference between the different model #'s? The reason I ask, is that a local shop has one on the shelf that is a 794-615. He claims that there's not much difference in any of them except for speed. I downloaded the manual for Metros from ser# 90,000 - 129,000 and it says that it takes a 700-061. Any help on this?
    Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey lawngator:

Thanks for the post. We've never put a 794-615 on any of our belt-drive walk behind mowers, so I wouldn't recommend putting that transmission on your old Metro. However, the guy at your local shop is right. There weren't a whole lot of changes to that transmission in the 700 series. In fact, the speeds from transmission to transmission are quite similar.

Use caution when going with a different tranny. In some of the Peerless trans, they used two shifter keys, instead of four. As a result, the transmission may not be as durable. Some of the bearings and bushings used in the different transmissions are also different. I don't know if this is the case with the 794-615 or not.

I would recommend going with the Nine Spline Transmission Kit - Part Number 1-301024. This would allow you to update your drive couplers from the finer spline to the nine spline coupler, which would increase the durability of your transmission. You wouldn't have to worry so much about the output shaft and/or coupler stripping out. The nine spline kit includes the transmission and everything else you need to make the switch over to the new, improved system. It should cost around $270 (+ or - $20). If you have any questions, feel free to create another post or e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support