1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Peerless trans maint.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Jan 2, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going thru my 36" mower (spindle bearings, belts all that good stuff) it has a peerless 5 speed transmission. Trans still works fine, but mower has high hours. Think its neccessary to open it up and relube with "00" grease or leave be?
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Team Gopher, Ill look into putting zerk fitting on it. Anyone else tried this?
  4. I havn't tried it yet, but I'm going to.

BTW the standard SAE grease zerk has 1/4-28 threads.
    Taps are kind of hard to find in this size of thread.
    SAE "fine" is 1/4-24, so this is an odd-ball thread.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If there is evidence of grease leaking out of the tranny then yes, I would do a service. The service would include opening the tranny (takes 5 minutes, 10 tops), removing the old grease and putting 12 oz of fresh Bentonite grease in the tranny.

The addition of additional generic grease into the tranny is not required or recommended. Bentonite grease stays more fluid when it is cold than generic grease and is more able to lube your tranny.

Too much grease in the tranny will also cause the grease to weep from from the output shafts making a mess that just keeps on coming and coming until the extra grease is expelled from the tranny.

Been there, bought the shop manual for Peerless trannies.