peerless transmission

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ivenholt, May 24, 2006.

1. ivenholt

ivenholt LawnSite Member

I have a 36inch Toro Proline W/B and it has been "whining" lately when trans is engaged. I noticed today that the pulley under mower attached to trans wobbles from side to side. I took the pulley off and the shaft moves side to side and up and I need a new transmission? TIA
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

How old is the mower? Do you pull a sulky or velky? If it has some time on it and you are pulling a sulky I would not rebuild it. I have seen lower input shaft failures now more with the new 9spline trans over the old 32 spline that always stripped out on the output shafts. You can find new trans after market for a couple hundred bucks.
  3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

ill second mower medics statement. those dont have much of a bushing, probably worn into the case. silver streak used to have them, if i remember. do a search, im sure you'll find one.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

5. Metalmacguyver

Metalmacguyver LawnSite Member

but make sure that you keep the old tranny for spare parts in case you wear out the new one.
  6. ivenholt

ivenholt LawnSite Member

I guess its 6-7 years old...never had a sulky on it..... looking at the parts breakdown, is there a retaining ring that is supposed to hold the pulley on?
    Mine is just on with allen screws.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe the guy is speaking of the trans-to-motor belt-driven pulley underneath the frame, not the splines out of the sides...

I have this problem on my '98 proline, but before I start let me warn you:
    The whole case of the transmission is made of aluminum, do NOT use airtools to tighten the bolts !!! It is ok to use airtools to take them off, but to put them on do it by hand and do so carefully or you will strip one or two, I speak from experience, heh.

You can also order the manual for the trans from J-Thomas, and I think the shaft runs 10 or 20, dunno... It is cheaper to fix yourself but those transmissions are about the equivalent of a modern 21-speed bicycle tranny: Easy enough if you know what you're doing, you'll spend an afternoon with it, which is why guys recommend replacing the trans whole because time / dollar it's about the same.

So it started to whine, so what I did is like yourself, checked that pulley underneath and mine wobbles a bit also... There is the possibility the key or the pulley is worn but it could also be the shaft. If it's the key or the pulley, you replace that and it is fixed but in my case it is the shaft so there is little to be done, however:

I first ran a liquid 80w synthetic lube through the tranny. This stuff will leak as you run it, but it also helps dissolve that peerless grease. Keep adding 80w synth lube to make sure it doesn't run dry, I did this for a while (several months lol) until I ran out of 80w.

I then bought a tube of peerless grease (like 10 bucks or 20) and removed the trans cover (along with a few other things like the gearshift lever has to come off first). Then I used solvent to really clean out everything along with compressed air, and once it was nice and clean, dumped gobs of grease in there until I was satisfied it had enough, and put it back together.

The whine has quieted down some, it still does it but less.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

check the grease level in it. i have a 93 toro that makes noise when it get low on grease. i top it off-it goes away
  9. ivenholt

ivenholt LawnSite Member

My dealer says the bearings are they ordered them but I went ahead and ordered a new trans from JT....any tips on how to replace it?
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can go here;
    And view the complete parts break-down for your unit by entering the model number. There really isn't any tricks to it, It's pretty much a cut & dry job.