Peerless Transmission

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by climber, Jun 25, 2008.

1. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I have a early 90's snapper walk behind and its has a peerless 700-069 transmission in it. I know its bad and Im wondering where to get a new one. I have been seaching the net and havent found that exact model, very close but no cigar! Id like to get it online if possible. And I havent tried to call tecumseh yet or even my local dealer. And also how hard are they to replace?

Thanks
    Dan

2. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

I would recommend going to your local Tecumseh dealer or Tecumseh, Snapper has been bought out by Briggs and Stratton and I dont see alot of info on Snapper inside there Dealers Web Site. MTD did the same thing to Troy Bilt...once they bought them out they discontinued most of there parts.
    Mike

3. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Call J. Thomas with the numbers on the little metal plate on the tranny, they'll hook you up. 1-800-828-7980 or www.j-thomas.com It's a couple hour process to replace, long as your replacing the tranny, replace couplings and shafts too. All together parts are $200 for tranny, couplings, shafts and bearings are $100. They are selling a 9 spline shaft and coupler and better bearing assembly than original so if you gotta take it apart, might as well put it back better than it was. Just be sure to get the woodruff key back in correctly on the pulley under the deck, make sure you have lots of light to see and make sure the key is engaged and did not slide out of the input shaft and sneek up on the top of the pulley, the set screw will tell you if the key is engaged, if it goes in too far, back it out and wiggle the pulley to see if the key is in place, sometimes it takes several tries to get the key and pulley together, that's been the toughest part on most I've done. Good Luck, You Can Do It, Be Patient.... C'ya

4. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Hey kevin thanks,

That worked out well now I just need to get it and put it together.

Thanks
    Dan