1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Dec 7, 2000.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

On my eXmark transmission (peerless) is there a scheduled maintenance for the grease/oil? If so what type and how often? My dealer sez that there is none but I have reason to suspect otherwise. Advice?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I believe the grease you want to use is Bentonite. If you wanted it thourougly cleaned, I would guess you need to clean out the old grease in a parts washer. Good question. :)
  3. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

There is no service interval on these transmissions. They take bentonite grease. If it is a couple of yrs old and been subjected to moisture,(the primary enemy of these units) and is becoming difficult to shift, try adding a little grease. Other than greasing the couplings regularly, they are maintenance free.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

On page 22 of <i>my</i> Exmark Metro Operators Manual it says:

5.1.10 <u>Check grease level, input and output shaft bearing wear on Peerless Transmission. (Replace gearbox grease yearly)</u>

<b>Service Interval: 160 hrs.</b>

I just add about 40 to 50 pumps from my grease gun once a year and it seems to keep things working smoothly.

5. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

The exmark manual does say to clean and regrease yearly.

Peerless normally come with bentonite grease in them. You could replaceit with that. The problem I have with brntonite grease is it evetually clumps up int on big blob and doesn't get on the gears very well.

I have seen what quite a few peerless look like when you open them up. Theres a big blob sitting right in the middle and nothing anywhere else.

We replace it with "00 Grease" works very well and flows good. Thats my recomendation. Also clean it out in a parts cleaner if you can.
  6. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

Thanks all of you for your info. My trans does not have a zerk so I am assuming that disassembly is the next step. What type of sealant would any of you recommend for the case halves upon reassembly? I don't have a maint manual as it is too old and the newer ones are enough different that I don't want to take a chance. Thanks again!

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, this is how I get my grease in my trannies. It takes 5 minutes and does not require removal of the tranny. Remove the shifter and anything else that is on top of the trans. Remove the bolts that hold the 2 halves together. Gently pry the 2 halves apart a small amount (you only need a 3/8" opening). Take the zerk fitting adapter off of your grease gun and replace it with a piece of 3" long rubber fuel line. Get a 4" long piece of 1/4" copper fuel line and put it in the end of the rubber fuel line. Insert the copper fuel line into the tranny and pump away. When you're done put evrything back together. There is no need to seal the 2 halves of the tranny. They are machined close enough so a press-fit keeps the grease inside.
  8. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

Thanks Richard,farmer, grassman, keith, very much help.

9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

theFarmer4 was correct. This is the second spring I have removed the grease from my peerless tranmission box. The grease does get clumpy and hardens on certain locations.

I should have tried the "00 Grease" but I read the post after the project.

No wear on any gears, some wear on the shifter thingy inside.
  10. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

When we were still using the belt drives we would drill a small hole on the right hand side of the lower case half, there is a casting hole there. drill inside that hole with a 3/32 drill with some grease in the flutes of the bit (to keep the metal chips from going inside the trans.) Then tap the casting hole with a 1/4-28 tap, and screw in a zerk fitting. When you service your machine, shoot 4-5 pumps from your grease gun into the tranny.