1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pelletized feeds/mixes for turf fertilization

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by YARDGNOME, Sep 12, 2006.

YARDGNOME LawnSite Member

For those of you that utilize pelletized feeds for turf fertilization (say alfalfa pellets):

1) How do you chop it to a smaller size to assist with efficient spreading?

2) Do you make custom mixes at your shop? In a powered cement mixer? or some other method???

Many thanks...
  2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Not a bad ideal.

I actually thought about making custom mixes using feed pellets, grains, corn/soy meal, molasses, etc and thought about how I was going to mix it, etc. I thought...how about a cement mixer. I know how many sq feet, so just mix to order night before or day of fertilization, etc.

My really out there idea is:

A local company manufacturers Honda powered mix trailers and could mix while driving and while on site. It is big enough to complete even larger properties. Enough to do lots of properties in fact if we are talking about average residential properties and would be great time saver for those that custom design organic programs/applications and would like to complete all applications in a day or two while towing the mixing fert to the sites. Here is a link http://www.cart-away.com/Mix%20trailers.htm

The problem is how you make the pellets (alfalfa, etc in stock cattle, sheep, etc feed sizes) the right size to drop efficiently. The goal would be to cut to 1/4's or 1/3's for efficient drop and quick degradation. The food processer method (gallon at a time) just won't work!!! :dizzy: Anybody try rabbit pellet mixes (generally alfalfa, corn, etc), as they are much smaller?

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to chop it up, how about a small chipper, one of those cheap homeowner ones should work. Just dump a little of everything in the chipper and catch it in the bag.

A better ideal might to buy a small hydroseeder and just dump it in with water, let it mix and then spray it on. Quick and easy.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Your feed mill can take up to about 50 percent alfalfa , mix with wheat or corn meal add some bentonite, pelletize and then do a crumble. They will want to do at least a ton though. Inquire about weed seed content on your drug of choice before you proceed.

Thanks for the input. There is a local ag service that makes custom mixes. This may be the way to go. Minimum is a ton though, but can be delivered in bulk or bagged 50-80 lbs.

Will look into that option. Still doing research to get it right before taking the 100% organic plunge. Looking for ease of storage, etc is an issue that I will have to overcome.