1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pellets or Liquid Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grasshopper13, Apr 13, 2006.

1. grasshopper13

grasshopper13 LawnSite Member

:hammerhead: I am in TN and getting more and more into fertilizing lawns right now I only use pellets for fertilizer and lime. But can still tell if a yard is being sprayed by chemlon or trugreen. It appears to me that liquid is faster at eliminating weeds and greening up a lawn. Is this true, am I not fertilizing enough and what I am doing is fine if I do it more often? If liquid is better what are your suggestions for killing weeds and feeding the fescue? Thanks for any info that anyone can give me.:hammerhead:
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

liquid weed-control is definitely better than granular, and in my opinion granular fert is better than liquid. you will get a faster green-up with liquid along with a growth surge. you want a controlled slow release that will last 6-8 weeks.
  3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that.
  4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

I'll third that too
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

There are liquid products that provide slow release. I just used some this week.
  6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yep, Use both liquid slow-release and "stabilized release" N sources with my blanket apps. and there is no substitute for the results and efficiency. Watched a local competitor pull up as I finished my lunch. His lawn 10k and infested with broadleaf weeds. He started by pushing the whole thing with a fert/pre-m combo. I finished my sandwich and had a smoke. Pulled out my 3/8" hose and had my 15K lawn treated, flagged and invoiced before he could struggle to get 3k sprayed. I'm sure a lot of "ride-on" people will scream about how much easier their system is blah blah but there is absolutely no way they can convince me that their coverage is as even (trim pattern what's that?) A breeze higher than 10 mph? "Sorry about your heirloom Peonies handed down from your great-great grandmother Mrs. Jones, I promise to be more careful next time" And when time comes for fungicides they are screwed due to minimum required volumes. I'll just stick to the same old mechanical-agitating skid sprayers and walk as long as these old legs will carry me.
  7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of older folks are resistant to change. No surprise there.
  8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

one thing to add, slow release N in liquid form is VERY expensive! i do like liquid apps in that i can customize my 1st 2 rounds with the amount of N that i want, not what the fert suppliers want. i use low amounts of N with pre-m, weed control, iron, and add a little K, and in some case's a fungicide. after that it's back on the PG for the heat of the summer.
  9. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

teeca has the idea

remember when spraying slow-N ferts, to return the clippings to the lawn or you'll just be throwing away lots of N.
  10. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Yes liquid slow-release and stabilized release are considerably higher in cost but, I'm not in this thing to get into a price war. Another thing to consider is the lower cost when buying in higher volumes. I am able to buy and store some of my fert. products for up to 2 yrs in advance. 58% of my customers pre-paid for this years service so I don't have to scratch for every possible customer since a large portion of my overhead is paid before I hit a lick in Feb.. I suppose I'm a little spoiled to be able to do it this way but I guess it is a reward for being in business for so many years sticking it out in the earlier "lean times". I started out trying to do it in volume alone and cutting costs wherever I could but decided to set my margin at a higher goal and be selective with clients. This system will not work in every market and certainly not when just starting out but it works well for me. Let "you know who" play the price-only game, I'd rather deal with fewer clients and pick the customers they lose when all they wanted was a nice lawn/landscape with little regard for cost.