1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pendulum VS Dimension

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DeSotoLawns.com, Jan 31, 2006.

1. DeSotoLawns.com

DeSotoLawns.com LawnSite Member

I am looking for advice on pre-emergence, which do you guys recommend pendulum or dimension?
  2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I here dimension is good but thats just what I heard, I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks also.
  3. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

I am in central Florida and we have a couple of different soil types. I found pendulum works fine on areas with high amounts of organic in the soil. It works very poorly on sandy soil.
    We have been using Dimension for the last 7 years since the majority of our applications are made to properties with a sandy soil type.
    We do split applications starting this month, and though I have read it is not a root pruner, after the second application, we see plenty of looping in thin areas of coverage on St. Augustine.
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Both of these preemergents will prune roots, but Pendimethalin has shown in studies to be the worst of the two.

I would not recommend using Pendimethalin unless you have a very healthy stand of turf.

Dimension also provides some post control of crabgrass, while Pendimethalin does not. Of the two, Dimension is normally more costly.
  5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything that TU said with the caveat that Barricade is just as good as dimension.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I generally rotate between the two pre-emergents to limit the amount of root pruning. Last year We used Dimension this year pendimethelin. I haven't used Barricade yet but from my research into it is more effective than both Pendimethelin and dimension.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have reat success with barricade
  8. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

Has anyone used Quali-Pro, (Prodiamine 65WDG) a generic version of Barricade? Seen an add in this months Grounds Maintenance Mag. Curious about the cost.
  9. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

Quali-pro is good, same stuff just generic, and there was sustantial savings when I bought last year.
  10. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info on Quali-Pro, do you remember the cost per @. I am going to check into pricing on it tomorrow, just curious tonight if it's less than 45.00 per @