Penguin 2.0 Thread

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by tonygreek, May 24, 2013.

1. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Ok- so I have officially turned this into the Houzz thread...

The updated App allows customers to contact Pro's directly. I think that's a great change as Houzz is very mobile friendly.

Anyone interested in how I use Houzz can pm me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll def PM you, because here's my current impression of Houzz:

1- for whatever reason I could never get clients to review me on Google Places, Yelp, etc., but Houzz? No problem

2- in terms of lead generation, it's neither better nor worse than other online sources. Maybe 50-50 wrt lead quality

3- as I mentioned I'm really, really struggling with the discussions. Houzz says they'll bump your ranking if you're active, but I've found very few that I'll participate in.

3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't looked at the data yet to see why/how, but Lawn Doctor has reappeared and is ranking near the top of the cities I just checked.

4. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, i noticed the same thing.

5. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

Manual penalties are easier to recover from- right? You can request to be reconsidered.

Disavow, disavow, disavow
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. tonygreek

Correct, Headz. Get your house in order, disavow everything (LD had a lot to disavow), and submit your site for re-inclusion. If it's an algorithmic hit, you have to fix and then wait for the next update.

If you pop up on Google's radar and receive a manual penalty, that means they specifically singled you out and will likely continue to monitor you, post re-inclusion. That's both good and bad.

If you were hit by an algo update, this was automated and simply part of Google's filtering process, meaning they don't likely know your site even exists. This would be better, however recovering from the penalty can take longer, and still not necessarily re-include you after the next update.

For me, I'd rather it be a manual penalty, fix the issues, get reinstated, and then walk the straight and narrow. Unknowns are significantly worse to deal with.

One thing that is interesting, in terms of Lawn Doctor, is that since Google was manually involved in this, they seem to have given their blessing to LD's on-site over-optimization. That says a lot about the way Google says one thing, while clearly allowing another to take place, and win. Google still has a lot of work to do when it comes to really creating a level playing field.

7. greg8872

greg8872 LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, just came across this today, seemed fitting here...

[​IMG]

8. greg8872

greg8872 LawnSite Senior Member

9. tonygreek

When people tell me that they hired an SEO, or to provide feedback on their SEO's work, that's the first thing I look at. If the hired gun added keywords, I know it's not usually a precursor of good things to come.

The second thing I look at is the quality of the TITLE tag. If your Services page has <TITLE>Our Services</TITLE>, immediately fire them.

10. ebassett

ebassett LawnSite Member

September's update hit a number of my sites hard. Since then I've diversified my backlink profile(s) and played safe. Fortunately the damage from this update was minimal -- We're still on Page 1 -- but there's no question we've lost a number of jobs.

I suspect Google's next update will be favour Mobile Responsive sites -- I'm slowly upgrading mine.