Penn Mulch anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy11, Mar 13, 2001.

1. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Any comments on Penn Mulch? I'll be trying it this year and would like to hear some comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance...

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The product is fine for smaller areas. If you can sell the customer on using it for a large area you would be better off using hydroseed.

Take a look at Lesco too. They have one that looks more like the green color of grass than the turquoise of the ocean.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Awesome stuff for smaller areas. It's a little pricey ($11.00 a bag) for large areas. Water it well and it will do wonders.

4. gr8 1

gr8 1 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I agree, we use it for small areas, and hydroseed regular seedings. You can use it for large "flat" areas if you irragate or get a nice gentle rain...yeah right! But if the first water is a downpour it will wash easily.

5. so you would use this product if you were hydroseeding? but i thought that for 11 or 12 dollars you only get 1m/sq ft. of coverage. now for larger areas if you are not hydroseeding would you suggest the salt hay? cause we know that the regular stuff is no good.

6. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

I have avoided this product because of the potential for the washout. I would also think that seeing as how it is made from shredded paper, wood fibers and clined(sp) clay that you could compose your own mixture.

7. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Thanks for the replies. I have always used peat moss. That costs around 6-7$/ 4 cubic feet. My supplier said it covers a lot more area than a bale of peat so I think the cost is about the same. I will only be using it to spot seed on small properties. And, no offense, but make my own? Time is money, I ain't gots the time for that!!! Nor a pelletizing machine so that I can spread it with a spreader. And it has starter fertilizer, I'm looking for C-O-N-V-E-N-I-E-N-C-E!!! I like being solo so I must replace the need for employees with faster machines and faster methods.

[Edited by lawnboy11 on 03-14-2001 at 11:50 PM]

8. Prasino

Prasino LawnSite Member

Penn Mulch is good and is cheaper then peat moss. Never had any failures using it.

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Penn Mulch will wash easily in a downpour. Only tried it once, and Penn Mulch areas washed out in a heavy rain, and straw areas were just fine. All these were tilled and seeded strips along paved areas. It did not matter if the water was running toward the pavement or away from it. All PM applied on this site was gone from where it was placed. And it had been in place for a week, with twice a day irrigations. Grass was starting to germinate the day of the downpour. Had to redo the PM areas, the straw mulched areas needed no attention, even where water flowed 2" deep across straw.

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboy11,
    There is very little fertilizer in Penn Mulch, read the label. You should still put down the fert. seperate.
    Groundkprs,
    I had the same problem as you described, where the grass had just started germinating. Since it had started I didn't redo anything & the grass came in fine. Just wondering what prompted you to redo that area if the grass had already germinated. Maybe you saw a lot of evidence of seed washed away also? Maybe the seed wasn't raked into the soil in that case, so it washed away with the PM? Just curious for the future. I've had good luck with PM for the most part.