Penn State Online Turf Mangament Certificate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Oct 4, 2006.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I was browsing the net and came across a Penn State Turf managment certifate that you can get online. You have to take about 15 credit hours worth of class' to get it. Has anyone ever taken something like this, they also have a bachelores degree you can get online too, But ive already been in college as long as i want to be. But what exactly is a CERTIFICATE ?? and what would it be useful for, Ive looked at the course work and I know i would learn alot by taking this course, but if its not going to help me out that much, its not worth it to me?? any insight on this kind of online certification would be great

Heres a link to a brochure if you want to check it out
    http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/MarketingFiles/TurfgrassCert.pdf

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into it as well!

3. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

I asked the same question about the same course about three weeks? ago. I am under the impression that any help I get from it is good help but all the returns I got on it was that I would do a lot better spending the thousand on equipment and learn as I go. I dont like the idea of not being in an actual class enviroment where i can get hands on but there is not to much for people that work day shift. If you want to the post I put up is on page 6, "Online Courses" if you want to check it out. Put I will add that the PENN course looks like the best online course that I have seen. Its still in the back of my mind. Good Luck!

4. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

This certificate is mostly for those in the golf course industry. It is an alternative to the bachelor's degree in turf grass management. They are very good courses, but I would not suggest spending the money on one for this business. Hard work and determination are what is going to make you the money here. I say this as I have a B.S. in agronomy and was in the golf course industry for six years, the certificate is just a foot in the door to big name golf courses.

5. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

Do any of you know of any good books that teach the basic stuff like,what types of grasses grow best in what areas, how to seed, aereate and stuff like that ? I just want to gain some knowledge and thought that class would be good, but I totally see where spending the money on equipment would be better. So maybe I'll start out with a good book if anyone knows of any

6. paul vroom

The internet and this web page are your best bet. I want to find as many images as I can of New England Plants, schrubs and flowers and make myself some flash cards. That should help me and my son (my partner).

7. paul vroom

I am sure that if you did a search on most popular plants and flowers for your area on the net you will find a ton on info.

8. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

9. paul vroom

Awesome! Thank you, and your mother in law. Good luck!

10. leannesinclair

leannesinclair LawnSite Member

Hey there! If you are looking for a good book about landscape management, everything from sod, lawn mowing, seeding, grass types, etc, check out Lawn Care for Dummies...Just ignore the title :) .... There is a lot of good information in this book!