Pennington's Myco Advantage

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

http://smartseed.com

Thoughts on this product?? Would it be better than just innoculating yourself?

2. Tom Jaszewski

Tom Jaszewski LawnSite Member

Great idea it may well decrease the time it takes to colonize. Cost effective? I'd need to see and evaluate pricing. I really like the idea, I think it's one whose time has come!

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know the seed industry well enough to know how long it takes a bag of seed to get from the factory to the shelf and on to the lawn but I believe that mycorrhizae has a short time to be viable before it finds a root.

Dr. E said 4 or 5 days in one of her classses I was in but I have heard other say 3 or 4 months. Great idea I just wonder if they are viable by the time it is spread on the lawn.

I think it great that some practices that were thought to be smoke and mirrors just 10 years ago are becoming proven practices today.

4. Tom Jaszewski

Tom Jaszewski LawnSite Member

The good news is Dr. Mike is involved in this project. His honesty and fair business practices make the product even more enticing to me. Mycorrhizae were a very important part of my successes establishing sustainable landscapes.

Regards,

Tom

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I would think shelf life will depend on species, how the seed is inoculated, and most importantly, storage conditions. I agree that cost will be a major factor in determining whether or not this product pans out as viable, in addition to how effective it is in variable environments.

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I started inoculating grass seed with Dr. Mike's product last season. Slightly moisten the seed & mix with mycor, let sit over night, then seed. I've noticed faster germination rates & hope to better judge results this year.