People are Cheap!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 16, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Wow are people just getting cheaper and weirder all at the same time?
    I gave 4 estimates today for lawn care and the one lady I have already been to last year. She said her "guy" that does it forgot to spread the store bought fertelizer she bought for him to do it with. He's a lowballer to the tee! charges $15.00 for a lawn that is all of 3/4 of an acre. Long story short she expected me to do that for free, lay down mulch for free, (oh but she would buy some mulch), and mow for less than or at least keep that price.
    Customer #2 8 decent sized flower beds haven't been weeded in over a year or edged, leaves blown under all plants and shrubs. I told her it would take 4 guys probably at least 6-7 hrs and gave her a price, and her eyes were the size of quarters and said why so much? I then explained to her AGAIN why it the price was what it was. I am really begining to think this is the only industry where people seriously think we work for peanuts.
    Customer #3 and #4 were well you guessed it about the same.
    Customer #4 wanted mulch delivered and just dumped into flowerbeds around the entire house I told her she is only saving abou6-7 dollars per yard by not having us spread it. She said thats ok whats the price? I am $45.00/ yard of mulch spread and thats cheap! Of course she flipped out about the 240.00 price. What the heck do people think?
  2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

You know we see it every day and it never amazes me the **** people come up with. Since I have been doing this I have weeded out the fruit cakes and kept the serious customers and canned the balance.

Your right though they come up with the most rediculous crap I have ever heard. I laugh a little and walk off. I am down to clients on a twelve month contract or no work. This way everything is outlined and there is no disussion as to extra work. If it isn't on the contract it is extra period.....

3. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

How much time did you spend on those four estimates that produced nothing?

What is your profit potential on those non-recurring jobs (bed clean-up and mulch) if you land them (after you pay an employee to do the labor)?

I have had real good luck getting clients to e-mail pictures of their landscape when they call for a free estimate for a clean up or shrub trimming. That way, if they are a cheap-o, like the ones you came across today, I don't waste any time or fuel on them. I haven't done a free on-sight estimate in over a month.

With non-recurring work, even if you land them all at the prices you want, I still don't think you can justify the free on-sight estimate.

DFW Area Landscaper
  4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Aren't you the one who started the thread "Lowest price guaranteed"?
    So why don't you fulfill your promise? :waving:
  5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Good call whacker, forgot about that, so whats the deal nobagger? Not bustin your chops but, lowest price is lowest price.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Now, you're the second cheapest guy in town. So much for the "Lowest price gaurantee working..."

Hey, bid the lawn three bucks less than the other guy, I bet you'll get it.
  7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I see "crow" in nobaggers future menu. :D
  8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I can invision a new thread coming, "lowest price guarantee not working anymore" I don't wish you any harm nobagger but you've gotta admit we tried to tell you, that tactic invites the cheapest of the cheap.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

why did he come up with the cheapest price thing?
  10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Because it works for wal-mart.