people are crazy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagwildcat, Jun 3, 2007.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i got a call last week for a mowing job, the guy told me that the guy he had mowed his house and the lady next door. but he needed a price for his house, so i went to look at it, gave him a price, he then tells me that his wife has a cousin in town that mows, and she needed to get a price from him to. i told them to think it over and give me a call when or if they decide.
    my price was $60.00 for his lawn only,which is 1 1/2 acres,with tons of trim work. i didnt even look at the ladies next door, the estimate was for his home...
    so today i get a call from them, he tells me that he spoke to the lady, she gave him the go ahead, and she is willing to pay me $25, and he will pay me 30 because he got me the ladies house, then he tells me that he will not pay any sales tax because the guy they had didnt charge them!
    This industry is getting worse every year !

2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

1 1/2 acres with tonnes of trimming for $60???? This industry is partly crazy for YOUR pricing. I can see $50 for half an acre with next to no trimming but $60 for 1 1/2 acres?????? :dizzy: :dizzy:

3. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

you hava to understand that what you may get in canada, i may not be able to get here ! each area has its market

4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Exactly what I was thinking Liquidfast. SWC- I just got an account last week that is 1 1/2 acres. Wide open, flat, and the only trimming is the driveway, around the house, mail box, and 1 tree. I'm solo and I'm getting $100 per week. Oh yea, on site dump spot too. I think your price is crazy.

But back to your story. I agree with you. You never know what kind of responce your going to get when you give someone a price. I've quoted $35 for a lawn and have been told the guy last year did it for $18. WTF. But on the other side I've quoted $125 per week and have gotten it with a thank your for such a fair price.

5. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

were in mass are you? i wish i could get that much around here, but lets face it, if you were here you would be out of a job quick, and if i was there, i would be called a low baller! each area has its market, for those of you who dont understand it, you should go to other states and find out,before you call me or anyone else crazy for what or how we price. its like it with anything you buy even at the store, a 16oz steak will cost $10 here but you might be albe to get it $5 in texas...

6. Uranus

from Mass

:all smiles: Western Mass, by Springfield. There is a little money here, Not a lot. I think you should find topsites formula and try to use it as a guide.

7. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

ill be there by morning, im packing my stuff up!! my family is from westfield/granville i would have never thought that you could get that much there.

8. Uranus

from Mass

Here use this link as a guide. Bottom right corner. Give topsites the props.
    Click on the link in the pricing box for larger lawns. He is right in line with how I price mine.

http://stonypointlawncare.com/services.html

9. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

I followed the link and was surprised by the rates for acreage $75.00 for 1.5 acre/ $255 for 10 doesn’t say anything about trimming but I would imagine there is a small amount figured in. As usual it just shows that while someone can get $100 in one area another may only be 65 or 75.

I myself cut 1 lawn in the town I live in, 1 single tiny little lawn and have never even spread so much as a yard of mulch here, well expect at my own house. I drive about 10 miles everyday to a neighboring town to do all my work and the pay is simply ok there, here I’d be lucky to afford a yardman payment let alone the Z and other equipment, rarely do you even see lco here, there are several small commercial props that get cut and mulched by lowballers and very little residential work, I still don’t understand who does the cutting here for the elderly, must be all kid next door kinda situations. I’ve been on a few estimates up here and they all with the exception of the one account I have said “ I used to pay little timmy $5 to cut the grass or bubba used to stop by and do the lawn and the hedges for $10" it’s crazy but what ya gonna do, drive 10 miles I guess. Seems to be getting tighter every year here so best strategy now is to lay some nice stripes, I did a temp mow job last week and picked up two lawns from that, probably would have been a little harder to sell them on price if they hadn’t seen the work...

10. YardMedic

YardMedic LawnSite Member

That's when we say, "We can fix $18 cuttings!"