People are funny

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KINGMADE, Apr 23, 2011.

1. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

Stuck an estimate on a door a couple weeks ago. Lady calls a couple days ago. we play phone tag for a couple more days. Finally she leaves me a message to go ahead and do it. I pull up. Grass at 6-9 inches. Some weeds over a foot tall. I knock on the door. No answer. I call. No answer. Small yard. Original quote was for 25. I called left message that we were there and that it was going to cost more for the mow. Wait a few more minutes. No call. Go ahead and mow. Have to mow it twice to get it looking nice. We finish and move on to the next job. Customer calls back and says the yard looks great and how much did she owe me. I tell her 45. She says she will put it in the mail box. I pull back up to the house to get it and along with the check i get a letter saying not to mow it again. I should have charged her 55+.

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

At least she paid and didn't complain.

3. minix

minix LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt of charged any more, small yard no big deal get 25.00 each week for the entire summer. I would of dropped you aswell.

4. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

I dont work for free for new customers. Established customers. Sure. If you dont cut your grass, call someone before it hits 10 inches.

5. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Yeah man if it's a new customer that's going to turn into a regular I'll take a hit on that first mow or whatever it may be to ensure I get them and make them happy. I would've stuck with $25 as well.

6. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt of charged any more, small yard no big deal get 25.00 each week for the entire summer. I would of dropped you aswell.

Yeah man if it's a new customer that's going to turn into a regular I'll take a hit on that first mow or whatever it may be to ensure I get them and make them happy. I would've stuck with $25 as well.

And you two guys would of been pissed to no end had she still cancelled at $25

7. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

$45.00 was a good price to flush the lady out and reveal her true colors...which she did. 8-12 inch grass is not a good indicator of someone who cares about their lawn. Nobody lost anything. You raised your price because of degree of difficulty and the lady got her "every three month" cut for a fair price.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't even gotta take a hit, just cut it a little on the high side, see ya in 2 weeks,
    and if it's back to being a bit high in 2 weeks cut it high again, sooner or later you get
    into summer and you'll be glad you've been cutting it high because it helps keep the
    grass from burning.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know, people are people. I don't know about mowing customers sometimes. I have plenty of good ones, but seems like everyone else that calls wants it done every other week or something! I will stick to landscaping and stuff if that's the case.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i kindof agree with the guys saying stick with $25...you got $45 sure...but you could've gotten $25 all season long which is way more money...alot of people wait until it's too late before they call someone...that's just how it is...the first cut always sucks and takes longer but after that it's smooth sailing all year....i've had yards this year that i cut the first time and it took 3 1/2 hrs and the next time it took 2hrs...almost half as long...it's not a big deal to take a little longer on the first cut...if you try to price the first cut high they usually drop you like this lady did but if you stick with the regular price then you get a good customer....then next year you have them again and you can start earlier on their yard before it gets too tall.