1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

People are getting dumber

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

So I'm at work trimming up the 4 yews along the sidewalk, with my 5' pole trimmer. With Cap, ear protection, glasses on and head down trimming the side of the yew, I suddenly notice 4 feet walk right by me "squezzing" between the trimmer and the edge of the sidewalk so they don't walk on the grass.
    I just stopped and almost passed out. I composed myself a minute and just watched the lady and her littler girl get ready to get into the car. I couldn't take it. I walked up the lady, and said,"Don't ever walk by someone doing work like I was, again". I told her I didn't see until she was right next to me, and my machine, which I swing up, down, left and right, could easily cut off her daughter's arm.
    She at least said he'd be more careful. However, as she got in her big BMW, I really felt she could care less.
    Has it come down to needing "safety cones" all around to keep people from walking right into you while trimming????

2. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Cones won't work-- they will move them or step over them, trust me I have seen that one many times.
  3. Doc Pete

I believe you, they do that with the parking problems. I'm getting almost too scared to work:(
  4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I know how you feel. I do a lot of trimming and it is so hard on the nerves when I am near traffic etc.

Not much we can do. However a few of my trim jobs I do on Saturday and Sunday very early just so I don't have all the people around to worry about.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

u did the right thing pete. some wouldnt have had the backbone.my compliments
  6. Hell, i'm shocked she wasn't talking on a cell phone also.

Steve :dizzy:
  7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

:D I think we just found a use for all the dog **** that people leave in their yards for us. Put in on sticks and make a circle around where you will be trimming... kind of like tiki torches. I think I was in the sun too long today.
  8. Your statement is across the board. It has to do with everything. I have people all the time walk up and by me when edging a lawn, blowing a sidewalk ect..

My favorite when is when working with a machine, I'll stop what I'm doing, but the idiot just stands there and continues to watch me.

Then if you hit them with a blade, rock ect... it's your fault and responsibility. Gee, like what ever happened to common sense. Everybody is concetrating on making our kids brain smart, how bout a class in street smarts.
  9. Doc Pete

Ya know, we all try to be safe and pay attention, but the rest of the world needs to be conscience of more than "How low Brittany Spears thong is", or "The 0 to 60 acceleration time of their new SUV".
    Thanks for the support,
  10. logjammer

logjammer LawnSite Member

I usually never reply, but this reminds me of working in downtown Cleveland. All of the suits would stand there staring at you and bums would just lay in the grass. One time a bum just laid in the grass while I mowed around him with a John Deere 935 out front. He didn't get the picture that I needed to mow the spot, so I sat about two feet away from him with the blades running until he finally got up and mumbled some cuss words at me. We got tired of being polite and told many people to move or get sprayed with grass and debris. People just do not care or want to be hassled.