People are so cheap!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by H & M Yard Improvements, Apr 23, 2012.

1. H & M Yard Improvements

H & M Yard Improvements LawnSite Member

I swear more and more people want million dollar landscapes at dollar store prices. Its sickening!

2. superdog1

superdog1 LawnSite Member

Yep! They see the price of a bush at Lowes for $40 and wonder why they cant have you put it in for $10, I mean, after all, you are just digging a hole? My response was, "If it is that easy, why hire me? just do it yourself!":hammerhead:

3. chs1993

chs1993 LawnSite Member

Those are the customers you dont want! I took me a while to learn that.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Took me one season, doesn't take long when they affect your paycheck!

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

(listening to one of my senior citizens ramble in my ear last week)

"Is it still the same price as last year? Blah, blah, blah... I found out I'm running out of money."

;) This should be interesting.

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Is gas the same price as last year? NOT! Is anything the same price as last year? NOT! Why should we keep our same prices while every other business raises prices around us? Please, Mr customer tell me that? I understand, everybody is affected and is feeling the sting of inflation but we are legitimate business's as well.

7. H & M Yard Improvements

Tell me about it. Someone asked me for an estimate for removing pavers, sand, and installing topsoil, seed, fertilizer, landscape edging etc and said that their budget was $800.00. I was floored when they said that after I gave them my estimate. The materials alone comes close to that. Did they expect me to do it for free? I think not. Said she found someone willing to do it for that price and I said "Good Luck". I want to drive by there in a month or 2 and see what kind of job was done lol.

8. chs1993

chs1993 LawnSite Member

Omg thats as bad someone that calls me yesterday wanting a quote for 1 acre spring clean up with dethatching, aeration, initial mow, and fertilizer. The guy said he was expecting it to be about $300. I would have that just in labor, not including wear and tear on my equipment, and fertilizer.

9. H & M Yard Improvements

Just for sh*ts and giggles, i browsed cl today. HOLY CRAP! I saw one ad from a high school kid saying he will clean yards for $7.00 a hour. Saw another for $20.00 cuts. Im like WTF? Dont these people have any clue?

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

ya, then by mid June the calls start rolling in.... "the kid who cut my yard didn't show up this week..." or "the kid who cut my yard would rather play xbox..." some kind of crap like that. I hate to turn business away, but there's only so much daylight in a day...