People are so weird

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BVLAWNCARE, Jul 3, 2004.

1. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Hey guys, yesturday I got a call from someone to give him an estimate. They currently use a 38' lawn tractor and Im still using a 22'' so it would take me a while and the estimate i gave him was $26 (which i thought was pretty darn reasonable). And hes like okay ill get back to you. Well he called me back last nite and he says to me "how low on the price can you go igf you dont bag it) I mean I really didnt know what to say. I just said that I always bad it and that if I didnt its still the same work and i'd charge the same and then the guy starts telling me how to run my business and its like man I think i know how to run my business. I kept my cool and what not but some people are just so weird. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

At least he has done you the favor of throwing up a huge red flag right away.

Many bad customers are much more sneaky and will wait until they owe you and then turn the screws on you.

Dismiss this guy and don't ever think about him again.

BTW we have a minimum of $35 for ANYTHING no exceptions even if its a 5 minute stop.

3. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't see how some people can't expect to pay at least $25 for a cut. I mean please, how cheap can you be! I realize some yards are super small and thats different, but for the avarage city lawn you just have to expect about $25! I would never bag a lawn either, only for $45 or so for a $30 yard. I don't have any mowers that can bag anyway. Its free nitrogen and water for the grass anyway.

4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've been thinking of a way to justify prices to customers who complain (not that I need to, but sometimes I feel like saying something back to them instead of just dropping them). They think since "you only mow grass" that you should only charge them $10. Maybe that's true if you're 9 years old and live next door to them and are using your dad's mower, but when you're a business owner things are different.

I've been thinking of explaining it to them this way: Say you just had a brand new house built, hadn't even spend the night in it yet. You're going out to dinner to celebrate, and while you're getting ready you drop a piece of jewelry down the drain. You either don't have the tools or know-how to get it out yourself so you have to call a plumber. Even though the plumbing is brand new and clean as a whistle and it's the simplest of jobs, do you think the plumber is going to come all the way over there for $10? Hell no! And I bet his minimum charge is more than what many of us charge.

5. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

You really don't need to justify yourself , or your prices to the customer. If you have looked at the property and have a good idea of what your own costs are, then figured in a reasonable profit for doing the work, and this is what your price is based on - then there simply is no room or any reason for negotiation.

At that point, the customer only has two options, to accept, or to refuse your bid. Do not let a customer talk you out of making any profit !! That simply is NOT NEGOTIABLE.

In this case, it sounds as though you have already given him a very low price, now he has to figure out if he can afford to have his lawn mowed.

6. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

iam solo and iam sure many of you have more money wrapped up euipment than i do ( with my truck trailer and everything i have over 40,000 dollars worth ) so how in he@& can we mow a lawn for 10 dollars seeing if we are leg biz and pay taxes and insurance we are probaly losing money mowing for this amount , so thats why we have a min on all new accounts at 30 bucks and up even if it takes 10 min to mow

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of what people think is based on how professional you look. I've had people say they couldn't afford me based on seeing signs on my trailer, clean proffesional equipment etc... They were right. The ones that don't recognize this fact are the problem. Be grateful he threw you signals early on. I would have laughed at him like I do all the others that think I crossed the Rio Grande at night.

8. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Hey guys thanks for the comments and you guys are all right about everything and I'm greatful that I ended up dropping him, Afterall, its really his loss because he doenst get the pleasure of my service haha. Well thanks again i never thought of it this way be and what not. Thanks again!

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I fixed this for ya.........