People getting sluggish on payments?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little green guy, Oct 20, 2001.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

It seems like lately people are getting real slow with payments, trying to get paid is like pulling teeth. I talked to a couple other guys around here and they said the same thing. I sent September invioces out about two weeks ago and have only got 2 checks back, one was a commercial account. About 40% of my customers still owe me on august. Seems like ever since 9/11 people have been super slow on payment. I also havn't been getting very much new work lately either. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this too? It's driving me nuts. :angry:

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not too bad, though I noticed some of my best payers still haven't turned around their September invoices.

Just make sure your records are impeccable. We use quickbooks, it records check numbers and all.

HERE IS SOMETHING TO WATCH OUT FOR:
    We have previously had trouble when a late payer pays, for example, August and it crosses the September invoice in the mail. Then they don't pay Sept and when you call, they insist they sent you a check. Make sure your invoices are numbered, and check number is referenced to invoice number when you receive a payment.

Ken

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You say you have August invoices out at this time? Their grass would be getting reeeal long right now if they were MY customers! My fault is that I just wait so dog-gone long to bill them. So, when they are late on an invoice, I can't really complain.:rolleyes:

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, payments are getting a little slower. I think as the season winds down the people are not as excited about their yards anymore. Yet I'm there still cutting every week as scheduled but they take longer to pay. Pisses me off but I guess that's part of owning a business!

5. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

Geez, and I thought it was just me! Up until Sept 11th, I had one or two slow pays, but now it's ridiculous. Gonna have to start knocking on doors.

6. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto! Same problems here too.

SJR

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

About half of my customers are quick to turn the invoices around within the week they were sent. I have been finding that the rest are getting slower to send, but still do within the month. I have two that owe me from august still, and have not been cut since end of sept. :mad: The grass is pretty tall. I have sent invoices again, and when they pay you can bet there will be an extra charge for cutting, if I even do cut it.

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I never like it when they pay late, but especially when it is in the fall. I have had people, not many, who get late in the fall, and stay late. I think they try to keep you around long as possible, and amass as big a bill as possible, and then stick it to you. I think they believe they made it through the year, and will find someone else to rob next year. I think they ought to hang thieves like the used to do in the old days! :p

All late payers will have to prepay on month next year. I have been robbed to much lately.

Jay

9. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Same here! What I am doing is that If I don't receive payment after 2 weeks of bill going out, I send another copy of the bill out with a REMINDER NOTICE attached. Been really lucky up until this past month, two customers have yet to pay SEPTEMBER bill. DO you guys include a return envelope with a stamp on it? I have been doing that since DAY ONE and I normally get my payment back the same week it went out!

10. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

August?

Are these accounts racking up late fees?