people or do i need a license????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by milo, Apr 3, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut grass and a couple people have asked me to put down fertiziler for them just scotts. i wanted to know if i had to have a license to do this or could i do it? i am in PA. i know one old lady i cut buys a bag of scotts and has the neighbor put it on for her. so i just want to know if i could put this stuff down before i say to them i can or cant.
    also i dont know if this would matter either but i would be using the fertiziler they bought and there spreader.. thanks

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

NO you can not put it down with out a license. You can do your own lawn but nobody else.

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

In PA. you can apply fertilizer without pesticide certification as long as it is fertilizer ONLY. If it contains any other chemicals, you must be certified. Makes no difference if you buy it or the home owner buys it, the rules for you are the same.

4. milo

hi how do i know if the scotts has that or not??? or do you know if scotts has pesticides in it. please let me know it would be a great help thank you.
    i dont want to do something i should not do, so please help thank you

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

These laws are there to protect the environment against people such as yourself.

If you don't know whats in it, and don't know what it is thats IN it does, you need to learn. There is a LOT of info available online about this.

If you asked the question and showed a TON of knowledge, but simply didn't have the license, I'd say applying a bag of Scotts for Mrs. Jones would be OK. Still illegal, but OK in my mind. But since you DON'T know.....don't attempt it.

The other loophole is that you must have a license if you'll be applying it for profit. If you apply that bag of Scott's for Mrs. Jones for free....

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Milo..

The Berks Ag Extension is off of 183 in Leesport (turn right at the VW/Porsche dealer). They can give you some info and you get the materials to get licensed. It doesn't sound like you know what you're doing, so you might need some help.

7. Rtom45

TLS:
    In PA. you must be certified any time you apply chemicals for anyone but yourself, money has nothing to do with it.

8. Rtom45

MILO:
    Read the label, everything in the bag must be listed. If you have no idea whay you're reading, then don't apply it.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Incorrect.

Say Mr. Smith wants to apply Scotts Round 1 to Mrs. Jones' lawn as a favor. A license is not required.

10. milo

people i am just asking. i do not do fertiziler and do not want to. i always refer them to chemlawn and sometimes they just tell me to set it up for them. i was just asking so i know if i can or not. trust me i hate the stuff and got some on my hand once and did not wash it off and it started to burn. i dont really want to mess with it but i thought it would be good for me to know the fax..
    so people dont worry i am not taking any business from you. when someone asks do i fertilize i say no but here is the number to my chemlawn guy call him ..