1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

People say no pavers.. what else to use for pool deck?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Jun 26, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I have a customer who is almost ready to go for kool decking for around her pool. I would hate to see that happen since a potentially large job would turn into a small small job for me.

Customer does not want pavers. Hates all the seams. I tried to talk her into marble, but she does not like the look. I'd like to use bluestone but they are afraid of how hot they will get.

What else is there that will not get hot?

I never taught i'd loose a job to concrete, but i feel this one slipping away. It looks like kool deck or any type of stamped concrete is going to be around half of what i will do ANYTHING for.

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

try sandstone flagging,i don't what cool decking is but if it looks good who cares?maybe you should offer it ,seems like you do a lot of pools,anyway good luck.
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

First you said "pavers are too many seams"

then you mentioned that you may loose the job to stamped c-crete.

So what is it?

Money issues?

Or Appearance Issues???
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

There are alot of different textures of stamped crete that does not have alot of seams.

Honestly, i think the people would like a natural stone but i think it comes back to the $$$ issue.
  5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

stamp crete = cheap i would just say byby,sure you have lots more work coming up.
  6. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

How about flagstone, or crappy pie gravel?
  7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a new paver manufacturer at our supplier. They make concrete slabs (18"X24" and 24"x24" I think that's the size) that looks like travertine. This stuff looks GREAT! I can't say how it weathers though. The company is called Navastone.
  8. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

i agree with crab, stamped concrete
  9. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt- what if you did a hybrid, kooldecking and either pavers or natural stone worked into a portion of the decking? I designed something similar for a client that wanted bluestone but was (very understandably) concerned about how hot it would be underfoot. It helped on cost, too.

Attached Files:

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Travertine stays cool.