people trimming own bushes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetlou, Jan 24, 2007.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou LawnSite Member

I have a account thats a good payer,but trims the bushes themselves problem is they leave the mess for my crew, I billed them for the extra time I spent cleaning up, but of course they had a problem with that,they said they liked doing it and needed to save on things when they can,and that I shouldnt charge them because we have to blow out the beds anyway.Maybe I jumped the gun a litle bit,but told them the cleanup is 3/4 of the job,and that if there not going to clean there mess neither will I,without a charge. Anyone run into similar situations.

2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I ran into this a few times over the years. But the clients would leave the trimmings on piles in the grass. Now i just cut around it. some, pull the weeds and leave them in piles, i go around them the 1st time. next visit if they are still there they get ran over. I usually run over the spot a few times as so not to be to noticable.
    As for blowing out flower beds on every visit, I do not do that.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

The only time we blow out the flower beds is on clean-ups, not when we mow. I've had people trim their shrubs/heges and leave the clippings for me to mow over. I will do that as long as their isn't a ton of them and I can see the grass through. Piles are a no no, cause I've hit hand tools that were buried underneath the debris. Also, if i see large sticks or something that could damage a blade, i will mow around them. But if the homeowner wants me to blow the beds out, they will pay for the clean-up.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just mulch it up and move on not a big deal....why are you blowing out flower beds every time?

5. sweetlou

sweetlou LawnSite Member

i dont blow beds out but I do make the guys turn the soil

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

those clients are PITA's.

would they bring a tea bag to the restaurant and expect to be brought hot water for free?

I have clients who don't pay me to control weeds in beds and will occasionally pull weeds the day before I come and lay them in the grass around the beds. I don't see this as a big deal.

Trimming bushes and leaving it for me to clean up, especially when this type of client usually does it once or twice annually, well lets just say they can have me do the trimming for less than picking up after them. It is really no different than the people who leave their hoses, lawn furniture, kids toys, car parts and random other obstacles on the yard all the time. Quite simply it is a way of them saying you are their servant and their time is more valuable than yours.

I don't do well with that.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

just mow around it and charge the same rate as you alway's do. If they have any complaints let them know what you agreed to do and cleaning up their mess is not part of it.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on the circumstances...I wouldn't mow around a pile of clippings the first time it happened. I really doubt many other guys would either. If it becomes a regular occurance then I take it up with the customer. Same as I do with people that continually leave toys all over the lawn.

A lot of customers just don't understand how a 'big' mower works...they think they can make a foot high pile of branches and the mower will just 'magically' make it disappear :laugh:

9. gringo gardener

gringo gardener LawnSite Member

y couldnt u simply turn the machine towards the beds ... then once ur job is finished the lawn looks good and the debris will decompose as vital nutrients for the plantings?

obviously u dont want thick branches ... but in our area viburnum, ligustrum or eleagnus leaves wouldnt defile the overall scape