1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

People who don't Pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Skyking, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

Is their a way to put something on their credit report??
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Why not charge a month in advance? Thats what I do and it wourks very good.
  4. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

This is why contracts are so good. Set up with a collection agency, contract lists fees associated so you don't have to share $ with collection agency.

Agency's will still go after you clients even if you have no spelled out fees, you may just have to share the $ with them. Look into prepare for the future.
  5. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

This cracks me up, i am not going through all that credit reporting or charging in advance... I have no worries what so ever about being paid we have a deal and if you dont pay me it better be because you died !
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You better wake up and smell the coffee Big W I do pre pays and have contracts and I still get stiffed from time to time.
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I got the impression that you are going to be dealing with a lot of elderly customers? YES they can be a pain in the butt, but if you can find good ones that don't complain, I can almost guarantee you won't have payment issues. We have 98 customers currently, and 82 of them are all over the age of 65. We have had very few times that someone has tried to stiff us, and I believe that's because elderly customers pay their bills FAST. And mind you, it took us years to find GOOD dependable older customers that valued our services. Anyone can pick up customers fast, but finding those gems takes time.

However, you will be in for a rude awakening and you won't be cracking up as you put it, if you are dealing with those types of people that are maxed out on credit cards and who are always trying to keep up with the Jones. If you are servicing those types of people, you WILL have payment problems.

Very few people on here claim to NOT have any payment problems. And those few people either are getting paid in advance (which is very smart if you can sell it), OR they are working for customers over the age of 65 who are living comfortably.
  8. bigw

my point is not that i dont think once in awhile i may have some late pays but if you think for one secound someone will just stiff me altogether then you simply just dont know me very well. Trust me one way or another you will pay me and like i said i am not worried about it because i will not sign up anyone i even think would stiff me.
    So far all of my accounts are with either very well off and nice people or senior citizens that i am not worried at all about.
    See i dont worry about people not paying me because i have no reason to believe they wont and when and if they dont i will deal with it! I dont know if you guys just sign any old body up because you are so desperate for an account but i will pick and choose who i sign up...this is my company and i will not sign just anyone just to make a deal.
    Yesterday i walked into the house of a lady and stood their in a train wreck of a mess,house was destroyed and then i heard her complaing about how the last guy was expensive and so on and so on and i gave her a price i knew she would say no way too and then i thanked her and left...ive been in sales for 20 years and i can smell a bad pay 2 miles away!!
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Without a personal guarantee you cannot mark someones credit. But you can send them to a collection agency even without a contract or you can lien property as long as it has been within 90 days of last service.
  10. bigw

Oh and one more thing, my wife works for a very big propaine company and gues what she does their for the past 10 yrs? Thats right she is in collections and she deals with late and no pays everyday and has become an expert at collecting these funds.
    So like i said i am not too worried about this problem and also lets not forget people we are talking about lawn mowing accounts here not major landscaping jobs,i mean ok you dont pay me for 1 months cuts wow a whole $165.00 that will be the last cut that you will get. Trust me you get 1 x to not pay me and you are history and even then I WILL GET PAID!!