People who lay it on thick

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NNJLandman, Oct 20, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you deal with people when you go on estimates that lay their sob stories on. They are outta work, layed off, husband passed away, injured, sick, or watever. I mean im a softy, I feel bad for these people, but recently a couple people annoyed me, I mean I know money is tight and not everyone cant be rich, but then why call me out to give you a price your not going to like. I always usta give in and give them a price break but recently i've been stayin pretty solid when I give them a price. The other day I had a guy using everything he had on me to get me to come down. I just said nope, explained every piece of overhead I have....insurance, taxes, gas, equipment repairs, employee expenses everything I could think of. I mean I gotta eat too dont I, like I had said im not trying to be a prick or anything to these people I really feel bad for them, but what can I do, if money is so tight shouldnt they just try to to it themselves? How do you guys feel and what have been your experiences.

2. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

I learned this lesson the hard way. You never negotiate your price; give a quote and if they can't afford it then they either have to get someone else or they have to start removing items. Never come down once you set the price. The answer I give them is if I lower my price my employees and I will feel pressured to cut corners. If we do that then our quality will suffer and that is not something that I can live with. Remember, you are not the only bleeding heart softie out there. There are lots of us and if they turn down your quote they will just move on the the next one until they get to the guy that has not learned this lesson yet. Having said all of that, I still have to wrestle with it, especially the elderly or the single mom that's just trying to make it.

3. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

There is someone on here that has in there signature line that says "If I were going to work for nothing then I would stay at home in the bed and break even." I agree with that and I have taken that as my saying with someone when they give me a "I can't afford it" line. I am trying to make a living and provide for my family. Sorry but not everyone can afford my fees and that is that. I do give Seniors a discount but they don't know about it so that way the word does not get around that I give the discount and then I get a call and give them a price with the discount already figured in and then they ask for more off. It is something that I already have figured in to the price when I give it.... Good lcuk to you and glad to konw that you are starting to stick to your guns....

4. deere-man

deere-man LawnSite Member

give them a fair price & stick to it , if they cant afford it I will tell them how to try & do it their self . If they dont get smart with me, you can tell who is blowing smoke up your but.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thats part of "reading" people. Everyone wants a deal so when you think they are going to tell you about there problems and why they don't have a lot of money counter with a great deal because you know what its like to be in that position.
    If your normal rate would be $50 tell them $65 but because moneys tight you will do it for $50 but when they get there on there feet you will have to raise it to $65.
    They think they got a deal and you already put the idea of a raise in cost in motion. As soon as you see a new car or toys you can approach them with the higher price

6. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, I've got seven kids that are malnourished, an overbearing wife that beats me when I'm broke and a bad back from a bullet wound in the jungles of Africa when I was a missionary.

Please buy Fluid Film. My kids have got to eat and I don't feel like an ass-whooping tonight. :dizzy:

7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I really like to negotiate price, but never more than 15% up or down, EVER. I know this isn't perfectly professional, but if you overprice a job (once again, no more than 15%) then you have someplace to go, also known as 'wiggle room'. I forget who I'm quoting here but I always remember that if you are winning 75 percent of your bids, you are to low. So I guess my answer to your question of ''do you give price brakes to people who are strapped for cash,'' is, no. They do not get anymore of a brake then anyone else.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Jeff, you should have asked him when the last time he was out to dinner, did he ask his server if they could do a better deal on the price of his meal.

9. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

At the start of the season I went on a weekly lawn maintenance estimate and after giving the price the lady told me it was to much and that she's on a fixed income.... I responded so am I

10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If ya don't stick to your guns........ you'll be the one with a sob story.

That's the price.... here's why you should buy from me, I can start now or you can give me a call when you're ready to begin service.

Next.