1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

People Who Park In cul-de-sacs!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kissmygrass, Jul 21, 2005.

1. kissmygrass

kissmygrass LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Does anyone else in here go freaking nuts when people (especially landscapers who should know better) park their friggin' trailers inside the cul-de-sac?!? I delt whith this twice today and just wanted to get the word out that if you can't pull up past the cul-de-sac and park on the side of the street like everyone else, then you are part of the problem not the solution and should be weeded out of existence. :waving:
  2. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I park in the culdasac and love it! I do it every chance I get.
  3. lawnjockey75

lawnjockey75 LawnSite Member

That same person goes through life p---ing people off all the time. They aren't smart enough to know better, and NEVER will be.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

The way I look at it is that I am there for 1/2 hour to an hour max. Wait your turn. Also I dont know about where you are at but our culde sackssssssss are big enough that you can park 3 cars and still turn a 6x12 trailer around.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm hjaving a little trouble understanding the dilemna here, because around here, all the culdesacs have atleast 5 houses in them. There is plenty of room.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you DO know how to do the jack-knife U-turn?

This may help:
    - Turn as far as you can, then stop when you can go no further.
    - Put in reverse and SLOWLY back while turning the wheel the opposite way AND
    - *WATCH* your trailer as it jack-knifes and STOP right before the corner of the trailer hits the rear quarter-panel of your truck.
    - Then, put in Drive and go forward SLOWLY while turning the wheel back the way you intend to go.

May take more than 1-2 back-ups, but it gets me through every time.
  7. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

I do that alot topsites, just make sure your watchin your trailer out of your drivers side mirror as the passenger side one is decieving! I hate that, why can't they give us a real glass in that mirror? I hate lookin out the back glass too because it makes me feel like less of a man :p But anyway, no culde sacs around here to worry about. Matter of fact, our streets are not wide enough to park on!, so I am almost always backing out of drive ways.
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

buy a FORD. Sorry to say it, but my old '88 F-250 can turn thru just about any culdasac I find, cars or no cars... I do have one that is too tight to turn in if there's a car too close so I have to back out of the block, no biggie, only about a 1/4 block. However I had my 20' trailer on my gmc one day and thought I was going to go around this culdasac NO WAY!!! The turning radius of the truck wasn't tight enough to do it. Had to do the jack knife method... Not fun. I never have known why chevy/gmc has such a wide turning radius??? Anyone?
  9. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I go around the cul-de-sac and go a few feet up the street like i am leaving then back up and park right in the middle, cars, garbage trucks ect.. can go right around the back of my trailer with no problem. never been in anybodys way for the short time i'm there.
  10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I always park where I have to, even in a cul de sac. I hope I was not in your way.