People who rent houses.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TropicalBreeze, Jul 12, 2004.

1. TropicalBreeze

TropicalBreeze LawnSite Member

I've been in the business for a few weeks and gave a proposal on a property today where the client is the renter. Something
    inside tells me to stay away from people who rent. He seemed honest but I have a nagging feeling that some how I'll get stiffed.
    Any input would be of benefit.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Tell him he needs to pay for services one month in advance, and give him a written contract stating what you intend to do each month.

3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, what he said ^^^^^

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Whenever I've done mowing for renters I make sure to tell the person that is signing the contract that they are the party responsible for making sure I am paid. I don't care if each renter sends a separate check for their portion, but if I get shorted I want the signing party to be aware that they are the sole person legally responsible for payment.

That being said, I typically don't work for renters unless its a family or couple. If its a bunch of 20-some year olds its a lot riskier.

I'm not sure what the difference is legally between working for a renter vs a homeowner. Seems that whoever signs the contract is legally responsible. Maybe this differs from state to state.

5. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Money up front every time. no money no grass cut:D

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I'll say what EN and MJO did. Either advance pay or pay/service.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I do 11 rentals, all are 200k + homes. On 7 the owner pays me and on 4 I deal with the tenant. They are familys and the nice thing about them is that they are short term. Only 1 year and looking for or building their house. I got 3 steady jobs that way. I might not get the next tenant on the 4 because it is up to the tenant but on the 7 they are on contract and will keep them when the tenant moves on. I got 1 from that set up.( stayed with me when they moved into their home.)
    These are very nice homes and only get well to do people in them so I do not have to worry about getting paid any more than any other home.

8. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone rents their home. Just don't pay your taxes and see who really owns it :) Except you Florida folks.

9. PrecisionLawnsInc

PrecisionLawnsInc LawnSite Member

Be weary of renters... We just got stiffed by one for 5 mowings...

Ty

10. chinita

chinita LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, i'm new here. I'm glad I found this forum. It really helps. My husband just started doing lawn care on weekends but still has his weekly job. We hope to do the lawn care full time if I can get more customers. Now about renters. I rent a home right now and know other people that also rent homes, here in Alabama the tenant is responsible for taking care of the lawn not the owner. Renters here do a pretty good job hiring lawn companies and taking care of their lawns and no that even when the renter moves the yard has to be left looking mowed and neat like they found it before they can their security deposit back. I don't see anything wrong with doing business with renters but to avoid any problems at the end, ask them how long there lease is, that way you get an idea of how long they are staying. So it's best to have a short term contract with a renter unless you know how long there lease is.

I have to wright a proposal for a realestate agent who is renting a house. They want us to fix up the yard before the tennants move in. Does anyone have a sample proposal they can show me? The house looks like it hasn't been lived in for a while, the grass is really high. My husband James might have to mow tree or four times, lots of weeds, edging, prooning, tree removal, clean up etc. I can't even think of where to begin writing this up or what to charge.
    Can anyone help?