People: You Gotta Love 'Em

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jul 6, 2004.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I received a call Sunday similar to you who have been in this business have received hundreds of times, but still wanted to share it.

At the first of this season, I picked up several accounts from a young friend of mine who had mowed since he was in his early teens. He sent a letter to all his accounts recommending me to his clients. I talked to one very nice older lady at her home, and she told me that she had decided to let a friend's grandson, who was a college student, and in need of some extra income mow her yard. I told her that was fine, no problem, and to call if it didn't work out.

Well, she calls Sunday afternoon, and told me that she would like for me to mow her yard. I had to think for a moment as to who she was. She said the kid who was doing her mowing was going to leave for college August 1st, and she wants me to finish the season. I mean, didn't she realize in March that we generally mow until the first part of October?

I told her I would come by and talk to her (which translates to I haven't shot her a price yet). She then said, "I want you to mow my yard on Friday's." I told her that wasn't necessarily going to happen. I generally mow those accounts at the end of the week, but that may mean as early as Wednesday, or as late as Saturday, depending upon the weather conditions. I could tell that threw her for a loop, but she still said she wants me to come by.

I just thought this was amusing, how someone doesn't stop to think 3 months ahead, then wants to dictate when you mow starting in the middle of the growing season.

I recall something a fellow said once. He said, "People sure are funny. I'm glad I'm not one of them."
    Neill