1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Peoples Court, good or bad idea????????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Prolawnservice, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm suing a customer in small claims for a fall clean up from last year for 250 bucks. We are scheduled for court on Wednesday, I got a letter today from the peoples court, they want to settle our case right there in their forum, dan nat dant. But seriously, I feel crappy because, I think I may lose based on that he is a neighbor down the street (didn't think a neighbor would try these shenanigans especially living within sight of me) so I didn't enforce my strict must have something signed policy.:nono: So all I have is me, my guys that helped me do the work and my wife that took the calls and got the go ahead to do the work. Who knows what will happen, but I have a sour feeling about it. Anyway my question to the wise ones is, Is this the kind of publicity I want for my business ????
  2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

DON'T DO IT! You have taken the proper steps to recoop your money,legaly. Do not turn it into a circus. These T.V. shows are a joke,they make asses out of anyone. No good for you could posibly come from this.
  3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

These "court" shows are really binding arbitration, not a court proceeding. In other words, you could have a preponderence of evidence, and you could still lose if the "judge" decides she doesn't like you, because they aren't required to decide based only on the law.
  4. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Well, the kicker is, on the peoples court you get paid, and if you win your getting paid the full amount you are awarded. But yes my initial reaction is not to do it also.
  5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Your right you get paid. But they will make you look like a dumb ass.

But you do get a free trip out of it.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I think it would be wrong to get your 15 minutes of fame this way as well, something about keeping it professional, I think those court shows on tv are for entertainment.
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Youll definetly look the fool if your on "court" on TV.
  8. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

I'd do it for sure. Just go in all professional. Have your act together. Then at the end after you win give us all a shout out, like: "This is for all you dead beats out there stiffing your lawn guy. Pay Up!"