1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pepole with no business license

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walterslawn&landscap, Mar 4, 2003.

1. walterslawn&landscap

walterslawn&landscap LawnSite Member

what do you do when some @#%&* with no business license and has a job and is mowing on the side and can under bid you because it is just a part time job to them. when i am out here trying to make a living at this and i have a business and have to pay tax's and make it in the winter months.
  2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

What are you calling a business license? Cause here in michigan if all you do is cut grass you don't need a license. Are you talking of a registered name?
  3. walterslawn&landscap

walterslawn&landscap LawnSite Member

no i am just saying i am in this for a living and there are some who do this with no over head and work some where making 40,000 a year as a teacher and in the summer they mow grass as for what i meant by a license is do these people pay income tax and do they pay insurance and are they bonded (NO) but i am.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I cut grass part-time and don't have a license (none needed). I guarentee you just because I am part-time does not mean I am a low-baller. I have equipment cost, along with insurance, just like everyone else. As far as dealing with low ballers, I say deal with it.

Invite the competition and rise above.

5. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Job and mow part time with a license. Thats what I did:D Just joking, but you do appear to have a problem with some of us who are part time. To me my time is even more valuable because I have put in my 9 hrs a day on my day job so I have to get a good price to pay for my equipment. I aint got all day so you know that I need a fair price for my services. :rolleyes:
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

DONT assume anything. One of my best highschool teachers was in the lawn maintenance business. He was fully insured and charged top rate. Not everything is as it seems.

Dont worry about those who are at it part time...they will only make it part way
  7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Difference is that YOU are a professional and they are fly by night. Do not lower yourself to their level, you know what you have to charge to make a living and stay by your numbers. The few accounts that the scrubs get I would say they are welcome too, not sounding like sour grapes but the scrub customers are usually penny pincher's (people you do not want or need). What happens when these poor scrubs go back to work, do the now deserted land owners start calling you? If so its time for a contract. Gee I wonder if any of those folks have ever been audited? Hmm sales tax, income tax to name a couple.
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I think ALOT of people here have other jobs and run very legitimate businesses. I know ALOT personally and they are by no means "scrubs"!!
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I am licensed, have commercial equipment, charge fair prices (yes to both of us) and I am working on the insurance (waiting for a call from my agent is more like it :rolleyes: ). Did I mention that I am part time? Oh, well, you see we aren't all bad :alien:
  10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'am Part time have a full time job licensed an have insurance .I don't undercut anyone .my prices are the same if not more in some cases.been doing it for 10 yrs now an actually make the same money as my full time job.I work 3 to 4 hrs a day only 4 days a week an weekends are outa of the question.just my .02 cents.