1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Per brick pricing on retaining wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by corban, Nov 8, 2002.

1. corban

corban LawnSite Member
    from K.C. Mo

I have a job of removing an existing retaining wall (just placing bricks to the side) and putting it back. The foundation of the house is cracking and has to be fixed. The wall has to be removed in order to fix the foundation. These are the larger bricks (about 12" wide, 30 lb.) It is only 3 bricks tall and about 20 ft. long. There are roughly 150 bricks total. Right now I'm thinking of charging $1 per brick to remove and 2$ per brick to put back. I may charge 3$ per brick on the base. Also, the original installer placed them on just dirt. Should I put gravel on the base before I reinstall? I am new to this type of job. Please help.
  2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

You should charge at least $5 a block to install. That way all of your expenses are covered.

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts
  3. corban

corban LawnSite Member
    from K.C. Mo

I have no expenses. The bricks are already there. I just move them out for the bob cat and put them back when he is done.
  4. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

After that bobcat is done you won't be able to just put them back. The machine will most likely make a mess of the area. Yes you should set them on a stone base and that will be an expense.
  5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the wall retaining? If the Bobcat has dug out dirt around the foundation, who is going to put it back and grade it properly? My guess is that you will end up doing that after you get the wall in place. More time and cost. And definitely use a compacted CA-6 base.
  6. dschulte

dschulte LawnSite Member

What is a compacted ca 6 base?
  7. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

CA-6 = crushed limestone aggregate with fines. ;)
  8. dschulte

dschulte LawnSite Member

Stupid question but where do you buy that? Im putting in 400 or so landscape bricks next week and should I use that as a base? My neighbor wants some shrubs planted with a two brich high edge. Nothing fancy about 20 feet long.
  9. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

You can find it at most quarries, but Quarry Process (QP) will work fine for any base associated with pavers, blocks, retaining wall stone... etc.
  10. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you're putting in more of a flower bed border than a retaining wall. No base required if thats the case. Just trench and hand lay.
    You are installing a wall and should therefore install as one. Laneele was right with the base, you need to charge for a wall install. Take whatever you charge for walls, normally $20 to $30 a foot, and subtract the price of the rock. I'd get between $12 and $15 a foot to install, depending on whether its base or just wall stacking. Good Luck