Per Cut, Monthly, Yearly...What's your take on it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDLawn, Dec 3, 2012.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

yes you might get blamed. but I present information as a "I would recommend".

if they don't take that recommendation I inform them of what could happen and that I can not be held responsible for those things.

I guess another way to put it is I don't have the "attitude" it's my way. as I said for example before being hired things like if they have a preference on a day of the week or height of cut are discussed. if I can't honor those things, like maybe the day they want is full I enform them and go from there.

but I hear guys all the time saying things like, I come when I want, it's my way.

2. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member

Yard guy, I'm not wanting to argue with you. But anyway I don't want to argu argue, it's C But anyway I don't want to argue, it's Christmas Merry Christmas
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

my plan is to stay solo forever. i'm not a salesman. i don't believe in "trickery" to get things to fit my plan. i'm just straight forward and upfront with people. i tell them how it is no gimmicks. people respect that. that is what people really want. they don't want a salesman with tricks up his sleeve in my experience.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I don't try to control my clients either, but to control my business. There's a difference. But I will not let my customers control me or my business. They need to work within the parameters I set. They can state their preferences, but ultimately I control how it gets done and when. If they want to control the how and when they need to hire an employee and not a contractor.

5. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I don't think it can be explained any better than that:clapping:

6. yardguy28

who was arguing??? :confused:

guess its because I try and work within the parameters the client sets. if I can't do that I inform them and its up to them if they are willing to work within the parameters I have available. since they after all are paying me.

if you can't do what the clients want they will go else where and there is always someone willing to accommodate a person to earn there business. someone like me.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah...totally different perspectives. I look at it that I'm the one providing the service, so it's my rules.

Really, how many service providers do you know of that allow you to dictate the terms? Can you order a 10 inch pizza when the pizza place makes 8 and 12 inch pies? Do you tell the auto shop when and how they are going to repair your truck or do they tell you? Does you tell the cable repair man when to come or do they tell you when they're coming? I could go on and on.

Personally, I think you need to lose the "lawnboy mentality" and take control of your business rather than letting your customers run it for you. You're not Little Johnny from up the road....or are you?

8. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Well I would love to hire you to do my yard while I dictate to you how to do it. I might even throw in 2 cans of Natty Ice for accommodating me. Like Darryl G said, this is 'yardboy' mentality. While your customers may like this since they can push you around, they probably don't respect you.

9. yardguy28

maybe you guys are misunderstanding me or maybe I'm not correctly wording my point. they don't really push me around as you say.

I won't come in and take complete control though. my goal is to make them happy since they hired me. so yes I may want to come in and cut the grass at 3.5" weekly for a nice manicured look. but they may want it cut at 2.5" bi weekly to safe money. am I gonna turn down that job because they won't do it my way? not a chance.

as I said most hire me and just let me do my thing. but I'm not about to turn away work because they won't let me have my run of things as some of you have suggested you would do.

as for respect. I honestly could care less if any of them respect me. I'm not in this business for respect. I wanna get on and off my properties as quickly as possible providing a quality job and get paid at the end of the month. that's it. nothing more, nothing less. not looking to make friends with clients or there respect. as long as they use my services year after year and pay there invoices on time I'm content.

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I know two things,

If you are doing a service agreement with flat rates, you are better off bundling services and doing it over 12 months.

I do not mind the pay go clients either. The ones with monthly billing are the ones that want to ensure they get every nickel out of you and maybe a little more. Often they do get it in the off season too because the employees will spend some extra time there grooming.