Per Cut, Monthly, Yearly...What's your take on it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDLawn, Dec 3, 2012.

1. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member

HIt hard with the storm in CT? Do you plow snow?

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I plow...got a couple of inches in a hurry last nite but it changed to rain and it's all gone now. I'm down on the shore so that tends to happen a lot. I didn't even bother putting my plow on. It did get pretty windy and the tide got up pretty high (I'm inland about a mile on a tidal river) but a fairly minor storm event overall for me.

3. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe I don't want the responsibility of having complete control of there lawn care. maybe I enjoy the meaningless tasks of cutting the grass and removing leaves.

there's a reason I don't get my fert license and offer lawn apps. I don't the responsibility of keeping there lawn weed free. cutting grass is easy. you do it on a weekly basis and if it doesn't need it one week see you next week (for me anyway).

I guess I shouldn't say I do full service accounts. because when I do I mean full in the sense that I do mowing, mulch, shrub pruning, fall and spring clean ups. that's the extent of my services. 90% of my business is the basic mow, trim, edge, blow and go.

not looking to show the world I'm a lawn expert. just looking to mow some grass and make money to live.

5. Darryl G

$6k...damn, that's an expensive plow. I only paid $5,400 for my Boss Pover V XT installed a few years ago.

Technically I could have gone out plowing last night because my 2 inch "trigger" was met but I don't think my customers would have been happy about me billing it since it all disappeared on it's own over night.

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

so if your 2" trigger was met, what kept you waiting.

i've got the truck warming up and getting ready right before the 2" trigger and as soon as i measure 2" i'm on my way to my first account.

personally in your situation i think i would have plowed at least some if it turned to rain and started melting the rest.

7. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

So your admitting your just a guy from down the street not a true professional, Nothing wrong there, just so we know who we're talking to. Your in discussions with professional LCO's and Landscapers, you do realize there is a difference?

8. Darryl G

I did not feel that I would be doing my customers a service to plow snow that would be gone on it's own within a matter of hours. I would have just burned fuel and added wear and tear to my truck and plow, because I could not have billed them in good conscience for a service that provided them with no real value. If they were commercial accounts that were open rather than residential accounts that would have different. All of my accounts are residential with the exception of one factory lot.

9. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

These are dishonest business practices. How would you feel if you had to pay a plow bill for 2 inches of snow that melted away the next day?

10. Darryl G

Yeah, meanwhile he had this to say in another thread just hours ago.

I guess he likes to pay for unnecessary services, lol.