1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

per cut or monthly?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TeamFla, Apr 19, 2005.

1. TeamFla

TeamFla LawnSite Member

I see a lot of per cut prices. Do most of you charge by the cut? It seems easier to keep a customer long term to charge by the month. We always break down our per cut prices on the proposal but charge, and bill by the month. That seems to be what we bid against here.
    Any thoughts?

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I charge by the cut and bill the customer monthly. Most people prefer it that way and so do I.

At one time I spread the cost over a 12 month period and billed the customer every month. But after a few deadbeat customers stopped service in the winter to avoid paying the bill, I switched to per cut pricing.
  3. LittleOranges

LittleOranges LawnSite Member

Some customers I get payed weekly, (VERY weekly..Ha Ha) and others that pay each month. I like the monthly thing. Much easier with the book keeping. That's just me though. :D
  4. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

This is the same with me. I would prefer just to do a monthly bill, but I think customers feel cheated if it rains and you alter the schedule.
  5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I charge per cut and bill at the end of the month. It is easier to just do one bill then drop off or mail one each week.
  6. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

If they want to pay cash I take it on a weekly basis or whenever. It's worth the effort. If they write checks, I put them on a monthly billing cycle for all of the cuts they got that month.
  7. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

What you could do to avoid the deadbeats in the non cutting months, is to only sign yearly agreements during the months of Oct, Nov, Dec. That way if they do stop your service before the 12 months is up, they will get screwed and you will make out.
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I charge by the month, period. 42 mows worth spread out over 12 months. Equal payments. April - Nov weekly mowing. Nov-April EOW. this season lost 3 over the winter time, but gained 6 in that time period so it was much better than even.

I also demand payment one month in advance. or put another way you pay for the first month before I mow once.
  9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge oer cut and bill them at the end of the month
  10. rclay11541

rclay11541 LawnSite Member

I expierimented with this idea a while back but choose to bill by the cut not month. Alot of people really didn't like this billing method. I guess it does work out though becuase your cutting more in the spring and less in the dead heat of summer. I just like to get paid for the work i do nothing more and nothing less. But what happens if you knock yourself out cutting lawns in the spring and then mid summer when lawns dont really grow alot they drop you? do you continue to bill in the winter? <<i have heard of some guys doing this.