Per cut or Per month?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Feb 3, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Ok...for 2006 I'm trying to change things up a little bit. No longer will the customer say they only want it cut every 10 days....or every 2 weeks....or the dreaded whenever it needs it. So, here's my thinking:

Whenever I go to do estimates I'm going to price my service at say $98/month. No more saying, well it will be $25/weekly...if you want it cut every 10 days it will be $30...and if you want it cut every two weeks it will be $40. From now on, starting in 2006 it's going to be: Hi, if you would like for us to service your lawn it will be $98/month. We will maintain your lawn weekly.

Here's my thinking: Say you have priced a every 2 week lawn at $30 per mow. You're making $60/month. Not too much is it? Well, how about you tell them $80/month. That's only $20/cut. Sounds cheap right? But you're making $20 more per month. If you have 50 customers that's $1000 more per month. You make the weekly price sound low...and yet you're getting more money for those that only want it cut whenever. Plus, you don't have to worry about them calling and saying my yard don't need mowed. You don't have to worry about going by and checking to see if it needs mowed or not. You just tell them ok it's going to cost you $98/month to have your lawn maintained. Pretty much take it or leave it.

Then it will be easier to make your schedule. We all know how those every 10 day accounts are hard to work around at times. And we know those every 2 week accounts are always grown up and depending on the amount of rain...it could take up to twice as long to get them mowed. So your schedule gets all screwed up b/c it's taking you all day to mow 2 accounts when it should have taken about 4 hours if they were maintained weekly. This way it will be easier to maintain, easier on the equipment, and it shouldn't take as long. Billing will be easier with monthly billing.

So, here's the deal. You lower your price slightly, make more money, have less headaches w/ scheduling, no questionable should I mow it or not garbage. And the customer knows exactly how much it will be each month. No surprises.

2. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

So are you going to quote the customer so much per cut?

Or are you going to quote the customer so much per month?

It's your business...you can do whatever you want!

3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a long post, I didnt even get through it.

Like ztrguy says, its your business do it how ever you want.

4. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

So are you responding to yourself or what?

5. lawnfreak

lawnfreak LawnSite Member

so you gonna go from charging $60 for two cuts to $80 for four cuts. I don't know but it sounds like a lot more work for not much more money.

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Why not charge the $25 a week that you origninally posted. I do not do 10 day accounts with the exception of commercial accounts. IMO I would just try to offer them the weekly service at the rate that you want, but don't cut yourself and bleed yourself dry. If $25 is a fair price then offer it at $25.

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would asap make it a policy of no bi-weekly's, and no per cut nothing.Get them on contract.

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah, what Bill said. :)

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I quit doing 10 day and bi-weekly cuts. I tell them the price and if they ask about b-weekly then the price is double.....period...

D

10. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

or raise your prices $5 and not have as many customers (headaches), not work as much and still make the same amount if you lowered your prices. Lets say you have room for 50 customers total. Wouldnt you rather 50 $140 dollar a month customers versus 50 $98 a month customers.