per hour when started out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ron Marston, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Ron Marston

Ron Marston LawnSite Member
    from Maine

what did every body get per hour when you started in the businesswhat did you make gross and net ??

2. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

the first year for me , i was trying to be fair and everybody's friend. i try ed $20.00 per hour . i felt that that was fair. no clue what it cost to be in bus. lic. ins. truck payment ,trailer mower and the price of going to commercial stuff instead of home depot.at the end of the first year i was in the hole pretty deep.luckily i have a full time job to support my bus. mess ups. also i used our tax return the next year from my wife and my full time job to help get out of the hole.the second year i started to pick up and raise my rate to $30.00 per hour that year pretty much the same thing.pretty stupid and clue-less after that i started to charge the going rate $65.00 per hour and i realize why we charge what we charge now..... can't be everybody's friend and make a living. so from then on its bus. is bus. nothing personal , not be afraid to do whats right for your family first.................

3. WeeDr

WeeDr LawnSite Member

I was thinking $35/hour/man. And if by my self $50. Also as a rule nothing under $40, even if it only takes me 15 mins.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

$45.00 PMH was our rate, but we always came down if needed for the first 2 years.

5. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

You have to price yourself competitively with the market and your competition. If you are to high then you will not get to much work. To low and you will not get to much money. Find the average price in you area and go off that. You need to price yourself for the area. Hey how bout them Pats.

6. Ron Marston

from Maine

well i was thinking $15 to $20 an hour becouse i have got all my equipment all ready all i will have is gas to pay for and inser and any repaires that come up may be i shouid go to 25$-30$ but 20 would get me some job to get started an i could go up from thare ?

7. Ron Marston

from Maine

GO PATS lol

8. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Its hard to say if 15-20/hr is good for you. Its different all over the country. The prices the people pay in Florida are dirt cheap compared to states north or Florida and other areas of the country. Just going out on a limb, I would guess that 15-20 is still too cheap. Things get costly, quick, once you start seeing the need for other ways to make the job faster and more productive. You might check the networking with other members in your area on this site to get an idea what they charge and that should give you a better idea of what the market is willing to bare. Just be sure you meet your costs and make a profit. Lawnservice is hard work...

9. All_Toro_4ME

Its hard to say if 15-20/hr is good for you. Its different all over the country. The prices the people pay in Florida are dirt cheap compared to states north or Florida and other areas of the country. Just going out on a limb, I would guess that 15-20 is still too cheap. Things get costly, quick, once you start seeing the need for other ways to make the job faster and more productive. You might check the networking with other members in your area on this site to get an idea what they charge and that should give you a better idea of what the market is willing to bare. Just be sure you meet your costs and make a profit. Lawnservice is hard work...

10. All_Toro_4ME

Sorry double post...