Per hour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, May 20, 2001.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When you figure out how much per hour you make, do you figure in your drive time?

Example - You work 9:00 to 5:00 including your drive time and loading and unloading equipment. In 8 hours you make $600.00. Divide by 8 hours is $75.00. 2 people, that's $37.50 a man hour.

Or do you just figure your hours by the actual job, not including any drive times, lunch time, bathroom stops etc.

Those numbers are just examples.
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Drive time is taking up your time too, so I would count it. It can add up to a large expense if your customers aren't in a consolidated area. When you go to the parts store, or do maintenance on the equipment, thats all hours your putting into your work too. A lot of people don't figure it like this, but I think that your time is worth $$ and you need to keep overhead prices accurate accordingly.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I track it both ways. Overall day you get just that. But, if you do it by job also you learn what is happening at the sites.
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Should have been more specific. This is NOT to replace your companies productivity tracking times or anything like that, this was to see what you as the owner/operator bring in per hour on an average day.

There is definetly a place for both. Guess we weren't on the same level, sorry for the confusion! :0
  5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I always add a certain bit of travel in every job and charge for it...not sure if this is what your asking... we track everything on worksheets with different is general conditions..this covers travel....loading and unloading ....talking with customers etc.
  6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We include travel time but not lunch time...
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

this will probably start something but as a solo operator, it isn't nearly as important for me to know what I make per hour, (all things considered), as it is for me to know what to charge by the job.

that is why always charge by the job, never by the hour.

8. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Im sure you know what it takes to pay your bills.
  9. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This helps to figure your hour productivity which will help in determining what goals are being reached..(et. profit margin) This is very necessary when having employees..."time is money". I think time is always related in job estimating...if it will take longer it will cost more...
  10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I keep track of all my time. BSing, repairs, sales, pricing parts and equipment, anything. I even break it down by machine. IMO, if you want to know where your money goes, keep track of where you spend it. The same is true of time. BTW, this lets me make more accurate bids on work, and project future expenses somewhat. Fewer suprises.