$ per week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsfrk, Aug 19, 2004.

1. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What do you all make per week? Before and after overhead cost?

Plus how many lawns or accounts do you do a week?

I am just trying to get an idea so that I have a goal to shoot for.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have about 30 lawns, about 5 of them are bi-weekly, so say 27.5 per week average. Gross is $732 average (average of the on and off weeks). I have lawns from $20 to $55. I have several 20's, 25's, 30's, 35's, 40's and a couple 50-55's and stuff all in between. My $20 yards are tiny and usually take about 10 minutes average each. I work by myself and could do it all in two long days, or three very comfortable days. I usually just take 3 days to do them and i don't work the full day, but that way i have time to run other errands i need to do while i'm near those places and already in town, and i have time to piddle around in the garage at the end of the day, do maintenance on machines, etc. Next year when i go full time (after i get out of high school), I will be working more hours a day, but there's no need to now. Plus, i'm doing this after school. Above, i mentioned how i do it in summertime, this is my first week doing it after school. I hope to be able to do it all in 3 days working hard and fast. I will not be running errands during mowing time so much, i will do them on off days.
    This is probably the most info i've given lately about my business' financial status so count yourself privileged :)
    Also, I do not get paid for my lawn (2 acres) or the lawn at my church that i do as a donation (takes an hour to an hour and a half). And, i do two yards at a very reduced rate. one is my neighbor's, do it for $20 they're sweet elderly people it's probably a $45 or 50 job, but no travel time, they don't care when i do it or how i do it, no loading or unloading. it takes me about 45 minutes to do it, so it pays for expenses. I'd do it free if they needed me too. I've never even told them a price, they started out at $10 when i used their mowers years ago, then worked up to $20. She knows i should charge more but i never ask for it. Thats my decision. I do another for an old 92 year old lady who gets $640 a month social security thats it. I do it for $18 a cut and she pays very promptly monthly billing. It takes about a half hour to do her lawn and i do it every other week in the summer, weekly in spring.
    So thats my 2 cents.

3. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

frankenscag, do my church's lawn and snow service also for no charge, but make sure you get it done as one of your firsts, every time I put it on schedule last and don't make it Bad luck always follows, for sure gonna have something break. Seems like if you keep it kinda first things always go better.

4. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Well, I do my churches using their own mower. THey have 52" or 60" lanzer z. It takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

frankenscag, what kind of equipment do you have and how do you do you advertising?

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

27 lawns a week. Average $1500 per week before expenses. Pretax expenses run 17% and that number will be down to 10% next year. My Dixie will be paid off and that $231.55 a month will go into an IRA and not into trading the Dixie in to buy a new mower.

6. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Richard Martin

What kind of properties are you doing that you only have to do 27 lawns per week and make $1500?

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

he's probably doing one acre jobs?
    my equipment is listed below my first reply to this. most of my jobs are from 10 minutes to 45 minutes, and one takes an hour (not counting the church and my house which take about 2 hours combined).

8. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 150 lawns. Average per lawn is $25-$30. Nearly all are small residential lots. I strive to cram as many lawns as I can on the same street or in the same neighborhood. When I get a new lawn I always canvas surrounding homes big time with fliers. My crew and I cut an average of 30-40 lawns per day during the week. I also have a few commerical properties.

I have a crew of 3 (sometimes 4) guys plus myself. My average weekly gross is about $4200 in the spring summer and fall. Winter time is somewhat less. I probably pay an average of $1500 per week in wages. And I figure I probably net $9-$10,000 per month if there are no major purchases or mishaps.

May sound like a lot of money to some but believe me -- money seems to go out just as fast as it comes in. I have a nice-sized mortgage and 3 youngsters to feed, clothe, and send to the dentist. My family lives comfortably now...but in my first few years the winters were very very difficult finanacially.

My advice is: treat good customers like gold. If you stack your schedule full of good guys you'll never go hungry.

9. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

My labor is: Me and one helper

My equipment is: 36" Toro, 21" pro line, 7X12 trailer, 2004 Dodge Hemi, all quality hand helds/blower, and assorted hand tools.

I mow 4, eight hour days a week. This brings in $1600 +-

There is usually pruning / fert/ check irrigation added into those 4 days, thus add $200+ to the week.

My non mow day can be poor to great. Landscape installs can bring in....well, you know....and make for a great Monday. There are also Mondays where we just clean shop, change oil, etc.

This does not factor in Spring (much better weeks)

This is my first year.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The best part is I work (cutting grass) about 30 hours a week. The other "work" hours would be doing paperwork (1 hour a week) and equipment maintenance.

My smallest lawn is about 120 sq ft ($20) and the largest is 2.38 acres ($175). The rest are a mix in between those 2 sizes.