$$$ per zone ...???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JsLandscaping478, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

howzabout the OP complete his profile so we where the hell he is posting from :hammerhead:

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Just wing it. Throw a number at it, see if it sticks.

Rates are regional, and dependent on YOUR overhead and what YOU want to make at the end of the day. What you use as parts might be on the low end of quality, but what Mikey uses would be on the high end with lots of features. Owning equipment or renting equipment can make your rates different as well.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You can only do that so often before you lose the business. It takes years to "ballpark" and you better be damn good, 'cause most will remember that number. I had all my ducks in a row for a large job, boiler plates, prelim. design, met with the clients, passed them a number, 60k as I remember. He looked at me and said, " I don't want it that damn green". I got the job and they are clients of ours to this day, 15 years later. :clapping:

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Very nice. Insightful even.

5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I was noticing that too.

6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Is this an installation?

You can't just ballpark an installation... geez like the man said... T&M + 15% for fubars... the T&A comes out of the profits.

7. This screams pigtails and remotes if ya ask me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

They all do, Peter. Have a great trip.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

we price per zone out here and found a way to make money off it..

10. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

I have to say the benefit of pricing per zone is speed in estimating. I would think if you are doing work for a builder or in a subdivision where all your systems are the same size, same type, and same soil conditions this will probably work pretty well.

I have gone to a big spreadsheet and generally price by the head. I have a set amount for controllers, backflows, drip line footage, plus a cost per head. Add ons for rock, or deducts for easy soil. It has worked well for me and is more accurate than just a guess on how long it will take me.