Percentage of Gross Spent on Fuel

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JContracting, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Agreed, we are dead on 5%. Consider that a benchmark.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cooperthumb

cooperthumb LawnSite Member

7.5% annually

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting thread, and shows me just how little I pay attention to this sort of thing. Since my numbers are pretty easy "round" numbers I see that I spent about 8% of gross for fuel in 2012. That's pretty good considering that I feel like my fuel costs are "eating me alive" all year because of my gas hog of a truck that gets about 4 to 5 mpg, roughly half of my fuel is used just to drive. My route is pretty tight though, so now I know... If I eventually find a more fuel efficient truck and change my big zero turn to a diesel like I did with my Walker I could probably get down to 5% as well.

4. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

3% here. Lawn Fertilizing business. I do not mow.

Vehicle is a Dodge 1 ton dually diesel and I have a 20 foot enclosed trailer on it most of the time.

5. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

7% this year. 6.5% in 2011.

6. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED LawnSite Member

9.9% 2012 ($1k was spent picking up a mower out of state - should be 8.5%)

16% 2011

26%?? 2010 :facepalm:

7. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

10% for me. This is mowers truck and all. Go diesel. Don't even think about it. Mowers and truck diesel as well.

8. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan to buy a diesel once I can either have enough profits this year to pay cash or qualify for a loan for another truck. Diesel mower....on the fence. For both trucks & mowers the up front cost is higher. But fuel efficiency & saving time by not having to fuel up (your crew at the gas station wasting time) every day probably offsets the initial price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I spent 2 times as much for equipment fuel than for the truck. I need EFI:rolleyes:

10. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Figured I'd update this thread. As of right now: 10.35% of this year's gross so far on truck fuel and 1.4% for equipment fuel which includes mowers & 2 stroke fuel as well as diesel on skid loaders that were rented.