Perennial Ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shuter, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a regular customer who asked me to up grade the side of the driveway by the road and wants me to use a big boulder. The rock is about 3' tall and maybe 6' across. I am planting ornamental grasses around the back side and some kind of perennial in front. Any ideas on a good flowering plant for the northeast that will get sun from mid day to dusk?? Thanks guys.

2. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

What U.S.D.A. zone are you in? What are the ornamental grasses you are planting?

jim

3. Shuter

Thanks for the reply. Not sure yet for grass as I will purchase all planting materail next week. Zone is 7 - 7A

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

5. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

ffshutter,
    We do alot of work with ornamental grasses and often use russian sage as a contrasting plant with the grasses. It's purple color offers great coloring when planted in mass grouping with ornamentals. If you need something less in height and still want the purple hue, try salvia "may night".

Mike

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

?? Im in zone 7. is there more than one zone map?

7. Shuter

Greenman, to answer your question I have seen different zones for my area from 7, 7A, and 8. I do not understand the different zone ratings for the same area, so I have no answer for that. Does not always make sense to me.

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I always thought MA was zone 5:confused:

9. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

Can't go wrong with Daylilies. Look great with grasses and rocks. Choices of colors, bloom for extended periods, etc

Maybe Dianthus for a lower grouping if you need it.