Perfect Earth Landscape

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PerfectEarth, May 9, 2010.

1. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. Been lucky to work on some nice homes. And I've been wondering if I could just make a living trimming evergreen shrubs and pruning! I doubt it- I but I do so damn many boxwoods. I kinda like doing them. Until my back starts going out.

Thanks! Just got the trimmers sharpened for this season. They have been ground like razors. Probably going to pick up an extended trimmer and a smaller trimmer (like an 18" HS 45 Stihl) this season to switch it up a bit. That way I'll have small, medium, and large options.

At least I have someone to clean up after me this year! So I can obsess even more about perfect boxwoods. :laugh:

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Man, I don't really like pruning...especially by myself. God bless you, I'd never stay sane if I had to take care of that many boxwoods. :)

3. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going to work on making mine look better this year taking my time and really making sure the blades are sharp ! do you sharpen them or do you take them to your dealer ? I did my hs 45s with a grinder

4. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have the extended kombi hedge trimming and a big stihl trimmer. I was also going to get the smallest one stihl makes for the smaller shurbs. Swinging that big this around all day get tiring.

5. PerfectEarth

I took them in because my dealer said they have a guy that is REALLY good at it. And he apparently is. They look and cut awesome.

I love sharpening things but with the contacts needing to be just right and the small size of each cutting tooth, I figured have a seasoned pro do it for 35 bucks.

6. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

How often do you take them in? or after how much work?

7. PerfectEarth

Honestly, this was the first time I have taken them in for sharpening since they were new. So that would be 4 seasons of use!!! Wow.... never looked at it that way.

Have not had any issues tho... they were still cutting fine. I don't use them on anything rough at all.

8. PerfectEarth

Some hardwood in a neighborhood I do... I know, there is no edge on the big bed (I didn't even want to post the pic...:nono:) but these are bigger "natural" beds and the HOA doesn't care about spending to edge them. This is the 4th year just running the mulch up to the grass. Maybe next year....Also spent a lot of time dead-wooding and hand pruning the Viburnums prior to mulch.

The entry wall has a nice edge though!

And loading up at JDL.

DSC03636.JPG

DSC03638.JPG

DSC03630.JPG

DSC03632.JPG

DSC03634.JPG

9. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

can you post a pic of the tool you use to do the edges of the beds?
    thanks

10. PerfectEarth

What not to do:

1. Tacky fake flowers in your entry planter.

2. Pile junk red mulch around the base of a young tree. No tree ring and terrible mulch. This is a Wal-Mart, of course. Usual crappy work you'd expect. They had tiny Iteas and Juddi Viburnums buried in mulch. They had mulch piled against cast-stone pillar bases in raised beds at the store entrance. It looked so bad, I cannot describe. Should have taken a pic.

DSC03629.JPG

DSC03633.JPG