Perfect Earth Landscape

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PerfectEarth, May 9, 2010.

1. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

One more question. Why put the mulch down before installing the plants? Just learning as much as i can.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, the cheap auger is great for small plant installs and bulb installs in the fall.

3. kgserv

kgserv LawnSite Member

sorry not to savvy on the computer just put this in the amleo search
    Home > Bahco Long Handled Edging Shear With Vertical Cutting Blades

View Larger...

Bahco Long Handled Edging Shear With Vertical Cutting Blades
    Bahco vertical action edging shear with 7 1/2", Xylan coated, anti-rust blades. Ideal for trimming lawn and border edges. 33" handles, overall length 37", self adjusting pivot bolt. 5 year guarantee. Wt 5 lb.

No ReviewsBe the first to review this productRelated Categories: Grass Shears

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's just much easier when doing a planting of this size. Imagine trying to squeeze mulch in and around all those tiny plants...and make it look good and consistent. It's better to get that done before instead of trampling around afterwards.

And like I said before, a good, organic mulch is fine to work into the planting holes a little bit along with the soil.

5. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

Good call didn't even think of that.. i was just asking because i felt like a good amount of the dirt you dig up with the drill would end up being on the surface and just not make the mulch look good but maybe there wouldnt be enough dirt to notice.

6. PerfectEarth

That happens. You end up with soil on the top and somewhat mixed in. But we try to take our hands and "ruffle it up" a bit while planting, so the mulch and soil mix.

There's no way to avoid soil on top doing it this way. It would take a week to do the job if you picked all the soil off the mulch! :laugh:

You can always sling or throw (literally) some fresh mulch over the top for some color after you're finished planting.

7. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Perfect, where in L-ville are you buying Wolverine products? JDL ??? We're interested in getting some of their shovels and rakes this year. All I see at JDL on this side of the river are spades for edging.

Thanks.

8. PerfectEarth

JDL has the spades but not much else.... Ridge Wholesale nursery off Taylorsville Rd in Louisville has a small wall of Wolverine stuff... about 6 different tools (spades, pitchforks, scoop shovels, Long handle spades, etc)

I have not been to the old Lose Brothers nursery in J-Town (which is now called Nursery Liquidators or something) in a long time but they had lots of Wolverine as I remember.

9. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

Cool....thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Any updates? any more pictures?