Perfect Earth Landscape

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PerfectEarth, May 9, 2010.

1. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Continue to be very busy...hope it will last thru the Summer! Have a new guy starting tomorrow that I've know for a while. He's a good worker and a nice guy. So looking forward to that. He'll hopefully give me more flexibility.... other guy quit on the 12th. Came in and said he couldn't handle the work anymore (we had 2 days of 90 degrees...) Oh well.

Couple maintenance pics. The first two I installed a couple years ago and it was pretty full then...very full now but keeping it in good check. I caught Hell for overlandscaping it but it's fine.

DSC03763.JPG

DSC03764.JPG

DSC03768.JPG

DSC03769.JPG

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

work looks great man.

3. PerfectEarth

Well, it just so happens that they started to grind the dump on Friday. I don't pay for this (well....I guess I sorta do, considering my lease on the property...) and it's done every couple years or so. I could sit and watch this all day long.

They can't put in too much leaf debris/wet chips/dirt stuff cause it will gum up the Beast....which sucks cause you could really get some really good organic material out of it. It's been so wet so they're just trying to throw in the woody debris and drier stuff.

DSC03772.JPG

DSC03773.JPG

DSC03774.JPG

DSC03776.JPG

4. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you get to use the mulch thats leftover after the grinding?

5. PerfectEarth

Yea, I can have anything down in the dump I want. But what is coming fresh out of that machine isn't really mulch... to get mulch, you'd have to age that pile and turn it...and grind it again...and again....with different screens in the machine. They're just reducing the dump.

There is a pile still down there from two or three years ago that is really nice if you stick a tractor bucket it in. But if you did deep enough in the old pile, it gets mucky and nasty. Lack of oxygen... really need to keep the piles turned if you want good mulch or compost. I'd never take any of what is down there to a customer's house!

6. PerfectEarth

Getting close to finishing this backyard finally. 17 planters done...18 flats of annuals today, front yard and back, and a lot of other stuff like ivy, caladiums, ferns, etc... yes, I'll paint the pipes! It's going to get cold tonight and I am a bit worried. Should be ok... this weather is nuts.

DSC03778.JPG

DSC03780.JPG

DSC03781.JPG

DSC03782.JPG

DSC03783.JPG

7. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

The natural looking landscape that you create look fantastic.

A few questions:

In the picture that you "over landscaped" what are those medium height shrubs grouped in 3 in front of the window? They kind of look like rhododendron.

Also, in the next set of pictures what are the light green/yellow plants up the driveway and the tall shrub on the right corner of the house, as you look at it from the street.

Great looking work, love your designs.

8. PerfectEarth

Thanks very much!

The 3 large evergreen shrubs with the 'rhodo-like' leaves are Schip Laurels. Some people call them Skip Laurel. 'Schipkaenensis' Laurel is the official name. A great plant that is getting almost too popular.

The plants along that drive are Firepower Nandina. The turn a nice red in the Fall. The plant on the far right corner looking at the house (kinda behind the Cyprus tree) is a Sweet Bay Magnolia.

9. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Perfect earth: Hows the weather latly down that way? Off and on rain here, the grass is growing so so fast we cant even keep up!!

10. PerfectEarth

You really can't describe the weather here. 90 last week, 50 and mist all last weekend, 43 right now. 70 by Friday. 85 by Sunday. Thunderstorms, heat ups, cool downs... it's crazy. Good thing is, at least we have not had the torrential rains like last month....yet. Just little showers that don't drench the ground.