Perfect Earth Landscape

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PerfectEarth, May 9, 2010.

1. Pro-Lawn&Grounds

Pro-Lawn&Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

Hearing stuff like that makes me want one ... I think it might be a next year purchase since we're getting into trees big time ... 12 inch chipper than a dingo

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Simple, low sign landscape for a back entry to Papa John's International. The sodded area was about 80% Euonymus groundcover we had to strip out. Another missed 'before' pic but it's close enough. Also removed 8 of the larger burning bush so the sign would be visible from the left. Sod, mums, boxwoods....

DSC04047.JPG

DSC04049.JPG

DSC04051.JPG

DSC04052.JPG

3. Gold Star Lawns

Gold Star Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

This is not criticizing at all. But why the mums in back? Seem like they will be tough to see when in bloom. I know they will perk up a little bit and be a little taller. I am no designer, so I am just asking.

You do some flawless work though. Keep it up.

4. PerfectEarth

No, good question. In the summer, they fill all the beds with massive red Begonias. These really mound up and will show well as a large group behind the boxwoods. And over time, with annual beds (adding soil and mulch) you get that 'bump' up and flowers will be more visible. Everything has to be low because of the lettering on the sign.

The boxwoods mirror the shape of the border of the PJ logo... so it looks better up close.

Thanks!

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I"m just happy to see that he planted something other than boxwoods for a change :p

6. PerfectEarth

Ha! Well, that's what they wanted.

.... but I would have anyway. I hand-dug those from a friend's field less than a mile from the job. People around here love boxwoods. I have done a lot this year compared to the past.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

You know I'm just teasing but you do seem to really like boxwoods. They're not as heavily used around here so maybe it's a regional thing. You do see dwarf boxwood hedges in commercial plantings a lot but not the stand alone globe-shaped ones.

I like your thread better now that I upgraded my internet...it was taking way too long to load it so I stopped visiting...I presume it because of all the photos. It's always a pleasure to look at your work!

8. nrobertsonETMC

nrobertsonETMC LawnSite Member

Hey PerfectEarth, What is the purple, broad-leafed grass like, vertical foiliage plant in the 2nd picture?

9. PerfectEarth

That's Purple Dracaena.... not sure if that's the official name, but if you do a search, that's what you'll find. It's annual around here.

10. nrobertsonETMC

nrobertsonETMC LawnSite Member

Thanks! I have heard the name before, just never knew what it was. Love your work. Very creative with plant choices.