1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Perfect Earth Landscape

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PerfectEarth, May 9, 2010.

1. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

Is there a reason for changing from a Scag? Or do you just want a change?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Glad your having a great season so far PE! Thumbs Up

I read your post on the previous page about the office work and keeping up, and I'm running into that problem this year. Lots of estimating and running around, then book work, then trying to actually get work done!

3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great as usual!!
  4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

hey Perf, glad to this thread still rolling! I've been using exmark mowers for awhile now-can't beat the turf tracer. This was cut with the new 48.

fine pix 007.jpg
  5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks very much.

Thanks for the input. I went to the dealer yesterday and was able to look at a bunch of extra features (the MOD, comfort packages...etc) Don't want any of them! The MOD had way to many moving parts. Tough to engage it too.

Also rode around Z925A with a 54" deck. That will be the one I think... or the 930. 54" makes more sense for what we'll be mowing.

Not bad for a 1998 36" Scag!

Dealer stuff primarily. I love out Deere and Exmark dealers and loathe the Scag dealer here. Deere sale guy is a good buddy of mine. I really like the machine too.

Thanks Nick. Yes, too many late nights in the office. Still wearing too many hats. Something's gonna have to change at some point. Can't keep it up.

Nice cut! I will certainly be looking at the Exmark. Thanks!
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Luckily the kid I hired this year is interested in Drafting and Architectural drafting. I might be able to pass off some of the design work to him.

But I hear ya, It's kinda a limbo situation. Basically not enough work load to hire on someone specifically for the other hats, but almost too much for one person to handle.

I'm hoping my web-site that's in the works doesn't overload me too much and I can make a transition into a 50/50 (work/management) role to keep the jobs producing while estimating and designing for the next jobs.

7. PerfectEarth

I've just got to get better labor- somehow! Had to fire a guy 10 days ago that we thought was working out. Really need a 4 man crew right now, but will I need it in August? Can I afford it? Maybe.... Ah the growing pains. I've always been "slow and steady wins the race" but when you have customers telling you that you need more help, it burns a bit.

The truth is, they want ME on their property working- not some random dude we just drop off. It's a tough balance. Still "young" in this though and we'll be ok. Just stressed right now because of my body (pains!) and we're in a limbo area with a guy last year that wants to come back, but may be a three week gap right now. And we need someone now. 5 minutes ago got a call from my August-Nov. guy last year who wants some part time hours. We'll start him Tuesday for an extra set of hands. Anything helps. Every year and Spring season is a learning experience for sure...

Derby Day (May 5th) is huge around here and it's just a miserable "deadline" day for jobs.

I got on Angie's List this year and really pushed customer reviews (19 total right now) and we get a lot of calls from it. I suggest it highly, if you need some volume and can generate excellent reviews.
  8. Zackster

Zackster LawnSite Member

From one Louisvillian to another, do you design your own landscape or farm it out? Do you use a certain program?

I can do the installs just fine, but my design stuff is not on power with what I want to do.

Any help would be a help.
  9. PerfectEarth

We don't use anyone else.

We do not use a CAD program or ProLandscape.... most of the design stuff is either on-the-fly (when a customer is ok with that) or we design it, have a plant list, and meet with them to describe in detail what goes where. We do hand-drawings if needed. Sometimes a quick sketch is all that's needed.

People have incredible trust in us to produce a nice product, and so far it's been ok. As we grow, we've talked about getting DynaScape and my partner swears he'll sit down and learn it, use it, etc.... who knows.
  10. PerfectEarth

more pictures........