1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Perfect Earth Landscape

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PerfectEarth, May 9, 2010.

1. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

ewww, sucks for him. I got what I needed but looking back, probably wouldn't do it again.

Hostas are quite functional for coverage and texture...BUT, no other perennial covers so much in summer and so little in winter! Gotta remember those bare spots in the off-season when using them.
  2. oakwdman

oakwdman LawnSite Bronze Member

Same could be said for hydrenga, usually we have enough snow where it isnt a concern in the winter.
    *I've also never taken that into consideration when doing work, nor has any customer ever brought it up to me, you're not THAT much further south than me! lol
    Gotta love lilac's this time of year too! Mmmm I can just smell it now haha.
  3. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

4. PerfectEarth

If I give a customer a plant list or a drawing, I still tell them that items are subject to change. One trip to the nursery to pick up what you think you want, changes in a second when you see the new arrivals, or a different size of this or that... I always drive thru my 3 or 4 favorite nurseries to check stock and availability. My best design work can happen there.

The process- for me- can be very on the fly and evolving. And the customer should know that- most every time they are cool as long as you stick within that estimate price somewhere. I try to place large items first, create general flows, and work down to smaller, filler items. What needs to be evergreen? Single item specimen here or mass there? Dedicated annual beds? What are my "go to" plants? What will the winter interest be? Flows and step-downs, how many different plan types to use? I always ask all these questions and more. It's hard work! And I've put plants in bad places....you just learn and go on.
  5. PerfectEarth

double post......
  6. slamjamrockinman

slamjamrockinman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I totally agree, I am starting to not like the mowing side more and more. I am just starting to get my feet wet into smaller installs but hopefully I can grow more and more through word of mouth. Do you have any tips for generating leads when first starting doing installs? I am gonna put together a nice brochure, and upsell to mowing clients as well, but anything else you can think of?

The mowing crew sounds like a good idea, that way you can offer it to any customer who asks so you don't have to deal with other guys taking your landscaping jobs.
  7. OutsideImprovements

OutsideImprovements LawnSite Member

Nice looking Beds!!!:clapping:
  8. PerfectEarth

Should be in the shower now or eating.... whupped :sleeping:

Huge rains this morning, so started this mulching a bit after 11 am... me and a guy. 14 yards in 7 hours. The mulching is so detailed I can't believe we finished (still have a tiny bit in the waaaaay back but nothing major.) All hand-spread except two more open areas that aren't that big. I normally do this one with 3 guys in 8 hours but we just buckled down today. Wet, dirty, nasty, fast, back-breaking day.

The second trip to get mulch at 3 pm, there was about 6 inches of water in the mulch bin at the nursery...

9. PerfectEarth

Backyard- but these don't even do it justice. It's massive with a whole other sideyard and places you can't see. I dread the backyard!;)

10. Gold Star Lawns

Gold Star Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Dude you do great work. If you do installs as well as you maintain....you will have no problem finding work and growing larger...just keep your employees doing that great work and you should excel really well. Thats the best maint. job I have seen on here yet.