Lawn Care Forum banner

Perfect Earth Landscape

307K views 809 replies 136 participants last post by  PLLandscape 
#1 ·
Thought I'd make a thread for a bunch of my work pics. I've posted a bunch before in the past but they're scattered everywhere! Enjoy! These first are mostly install pics, I'll have a bunch of maintenance pics and equipment pictures also. Have not really been active here in the past year or so...

Flower Plant Building Window Door

Plant Building Window Property House

Plant Window Property Building Leaf

Plant Tree Land lot House Landscape

Plant Brickwork Building Grass Brick

See less See more
#177 ·
I was referring to an edging product...
The vast majority of my customers, and myself included, do not want to use a bed edging product in most residential applications. We much prefer a natural, spaded edge. After a few rounds with a trimmer, the flying mulch isn't too much of an issue anyway. It settles down and hopefully one wouldn't be that aggressive while trimming anyways.

I guess steel edging or a natural cobblestone look would be my preferred edging choice if it had to go down... I hate landscape timers, concrete curb edging, plastic edging, brick edging, wall block edging. I think that stuff looks horrible and distracting. A clean spade edge is my favorite.

#178 ·
We most definitely have different tastes. Must be a regional thing, I'll have to get some pics of the edging I've got in my yard as well as the brick rock bed edges I've got that border the house. Trust me it looks good :D but for now it's covered in 25" of snow.

#180 ·
Happy 2011 everyone! Been very busy so far with pre-mulch clean-ups. This year I decided to get a jump on properties and split the "clean-up/cut-back" part and the actual mulching and edging. So nothing interesting going on- or picture worthy at least.... People just don't want mulch this early so it's best to just stay busy and get a jump. Then you can just focus on mulch.

Did some really nice Norway and Blue Spruce trees today. They were really nice trees and looked great in the ground. They should thrive (really great soil)...

Plant Tree Grass Automotive tire Asphalt

Plant Automotive tire Grass Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

Plant Tree Larch Tire Wheel

Wheel Plant Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Plant Sky Tree Larch Natural landscape

#183 ·
Thanks Tim. Planting trees isn't really sexy...but 10 years from now, it'll be nice to drive by and see these.

I have red dots all over my arms as I type this. hahahaha! Yea, they suck. Had to roll up the sleeves today, as it hit 60. And I started sweating. Too early to sweat these days.

Did you hang it up on your biz? Have not been up-to-date around here...

#184 ·
Thanks Tim. Planting trees isn't really sexy...but 10 years from now, it'll be nice to drive by and see these.

I have red dots all over my arms as I type this. hahahaha! Yea, they suck. Had to roll up the sleeves today, as it hit 60. And I started sweating. Too early to sweat these days.

Did you hang it up on your biz? Have not been up-to-date around here...
Yeah man, I'm working out a deal with somebody on my accounts and trying to sell my mower. I still have my business technically this year, so I may end up doing some small installs here and there, but I kinda hope not.

Just money problems basically; couldn't afford to get the work that I needed to continue, if that makes sense. Just landed a good long-term job, so hopefully that works out.

#185 ·
Just money problems basically; couldn't afford to get the work that I needed to continue, if that makes sense. Just landed a good long-term job, so hopefully that works out.
Makes perfect sense. I really love what I do, but those thoughts still creep in when the money fluctuates so much. It's tough. My main goal now is just to operate debt-free for a while and build up cash. A good long-term job is a great thing. Good luck!!

#188 ·
Your work is very impressive. Do you work by yourself or have a crew or a highly trained employee working with you? Your work is immaculate.
Posted via Mobile Device

#189 ·
Your work is very impressive. Do you work by yourself or have a crew or a highly trained employee working with you? Your work is immaculate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Snapper! The vast majority of the work in this thread (and my work in the past couple years) has been done my me alone. I have finished some crazy jobs with no help (kinda dumb on my part)... Last year I had some labor to help with larger mulch jobs and some install/soil work. Had a promising young guy last Fall but it lasted about two weeks.

I just hired a new guy two weeks ago. He has some landscape experience but if a bit short on the detail end- a good guy and a decent worker though. He's very much straight labor...he follows behind me, cleans up, fills the big green buckets, dumps in the truck/trailer, etc.

My biggest mistake so far is not hiring or getting more labor earlier in my start-up. Admittedly, it was a bad mistake. I was maxed out on how much I could do alone. BUT- I didn't want a guy around if I didn't have a full schedule. it's been a tough balance but I think I'm ready this year.

#191 ·
Thanks Snapper! The vast majority of the work in this thread (and my work in the past couple years) has been done my me alone. I have finished some crazy jobs with no help (kinda dumb on my part)... Last year I had some labor to help with larger mulch jobs and some install/soil work. Had a promising young guy last Fall but it lasted about two weeks.

I just hired a new guy two weeks ago. He has some landscape experience but if a bit short on the detail end- a good guy and a decent worker though. He's very much straight labor...he follows behind me, cleans up, fills the big green buckets, dumps in the truck/trailer, etc.

My biggest mistake so far is not hiring or getting more labor earlier in my start-up. Admittedly, it was a bad mistake. I was maxed out on how much I could do alone. BUT- I didn't want a guy around if I didn't have a full schedule. it's been a tough balance but I think I'm ready this year.
Hey man just checked out your thread your work is great and I have seen you around town. Its good to see great work here in Louisville. I have a few questions for you though. I have a lawn care business I do roughly 80 accounts a week and about 7 commercial jobs. I mainly cut grass and do a few mulch jobs here in March. My problem though is ive been doing this since I was 15 and its to the point where I need help. I have a part time guy 2 days a week but do you have any advice of seeking people around here that are worth a darn. Ive tried several and I cant even find a guy who can run a trimmer in a straight line ? I get calls from Hispanics to be proper but they are not big with English. Any type of advice will help lol

#192 ·
Best advice for this industry is to learn Spanish.
Posted via Mobile Device

#195 ·
Well here they cannot ask for papers or your residency status if you get pulled over.
Posted via Mobile Device

#196 ·
Hey man just checked out your thread your work is great and I have seen you around town. Its good to see great work here in Louisville. I have a few questions for you though. I have a lawn care business I do roughly 80 accounts a week and about 7 commercial jobs. I mainly cut grass and do a few mulch jobs here in March. My problem though is ive been doing this since I was 15 and its to the point where I need help. I have a part time guy 2 days a week but do you have any advice of seeking people around here that are worth a darn. Ive tried several and I cant even find a guy who can run a trimmer in a straight line ? I get calls from Hispanics to be proper but they are not big with English. Any type of advice will help lol
Hey man! Thanks for the compliments. Good to see another Louisville guy on LS. I have also got a lot of "work requests" from hispanic guys. They definitely want to get out and WORK....which is commendable. My new guy is a young Mexican who is legit. He also speaks fluent English (and is pretty funny as well...) He has his SS card and a legit Permanent Resident Card- been here since he was a small kid and went to school and everything... His I-9 form has been filled out and just today I have him on full payroll service for withholdings (even back-dated for withholdings on what I have paid in cash while we worked everything out in the past two weeks.) He's a good worker who I think really wants to learn the right way to do quality work. At his old job, he told me they did things much less detailed (and you'd be surprised if I told you where that was in Louisville....)

I have had the good fortune of working along side a ValleyCrest crew for many years. The guys there have always been great. My guy happens to be the son of one of their guys. They are always looking out for work and looking out for each other, friends or family members.

I have got leads on guys at nurseries (one just a couple days ago), suppliers, even the quarry dump! ...Guys are always looking for a buddy who wants work or whatever. I'm just fortunate to find a guy who I can communicate with. I guess I would tell you to just talk to folks at stops you make everyday... perhaps craigslist too. put an ad out and be specific about what you're looking for. Good luck and send me a message if you want to keep in touch! Thanks again!

#197 ·
Ok yea that sounds good I just realy didnt even know where to start looking. I will take that advice and see what hapens or what I can come up with. If I see you guys any where other than a job site this season ill be sure to stop by and introduce myself. Thanks and good luck to you this season. If you ever see a 04 f150 supercrew red with a matching red 16 ft trailer thats me lol c ya

#198 ·
Edge and cut back, Pine Straw mulch....etc....did the cutting back a week or so ago, mulch today.

This house was one of the first ever installs I helped on almost 12 years ago. Then we maintained it at my old estate job for a few years... then not. Now I've been back since last summer and I'm doing the whole thing this year, including grass. Kinda a "call as you need it" customer. Sweet house that I would LOVE to live in one day. This place looks great in the summer.

Plant Property Sky Leaf Botany

Plant Tree Botany Road surface Hedge

Plant Road surface Vegetation Asphalt Land lot

Plant Building Property Window Tree

Plant Building Property Window White

#201 ·
Man, you sure maintain some nice properties. Lots of shrubs though
Yes. Been lucky to work on some nice homes. And I've been wondering if I could just make a living trimming evergreen shrubs and pruning! I doubt it- I but I do so damn many boxwoods. I kinda like doing them. Until my back starts going out.

I must say as always you do some of the best hedge trimming I have ever seen !!
Thanks! Just got the trimmers sharpened for this season. They have been ground like razors. Probably going to pick up an extended trimmer and a smaller trimmer (like an 18" HS 45 Stihl) this season to switch it up a bit. That way I'll have small, medium, and large options.

At least I have someone to clean up after me this year! So I can obsess even more about perfect boxwoods. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.