Perfect Edge

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by American_Lawn, Mar 5, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

How do I make that perfect edge that goes from Turf to the flower bed? I have tried my string trimmer, stick edger, and I cant get it perfect like around the sidewalks. Advice?

2. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

You may want to rent a bed edger, which are not easy to find. Or a shovel.

3. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

Nobody have experience doing this? I have had some customers ask me to do this and I am not happy with the results. Please give advice.

4. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Member
    from nunya

straight edge spade and a flat or round point shovel... stab a line along the bed with the spade, and then go back and cut out that edge, at an angle, with a shovel... after that maintain it with a string trimmer and your good to go...

5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I use a string trimmer. Just turn it upside down and walk. Do it every week and it will look good.

6. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are trying to estabish a new edge you can use your stick edger to make the line then go back thru and use a spade to edge it all out. We try to get a good 3-4" edge and remove the grass and dirt. Most importantly when you mulch only put one inch of mulch on the edge this way the edge still looks defined. During the growing season use your string trimmer to maintain the edge.

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im thinking of gettin a Brown bededger

8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one and it is nice but we still go back thru and edge by hand after we run thru with the bed edger.

9. mowtime

mowtime LawnSite Member

10. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

On my beds at home I use a bed edger in the spring that has a redefining blade on it. Then periodically through the season I run my tanaka sidewalk edger around the place. I've got alot of beds with alot of curves and they stay crisp and neat.