Perfect "Solo" Setup & Most Profitable Side Servies...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by emil35, Jan 7, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Hello All:

I am currently a senior in highschool and will be attending college next fall. Over the years I have created a rather successful business, but for college I want to downsize and make it manageable for me to handle by myself so that I don't have to deal with all the hassels of employees while in school, and also, if I so desire, continue in the business after college. For my question, I want to create the "perfect" solo operation that will look sharp and work effectivly. I may also have an occasional helper or two helping during the "heavy work load" times such as spring and fall so I want it to work well for those purposes also. Also, I was wondering what side services to you guys offer that have the greatest return? Like for me, plowing snow makes alot more money for the time invested, but since it depends on the weather, mowing is nice for a constant cash flow. I have my own ideas since I've been in the business for awhile, but I'm open to ideas in hopes of improving myself and my business. Also, I would like to keep my overhead costs low, while still running a legal business w/insurance and all the other req' things, so if you have any little ways of doing that I would love to hear them, especially if I could find a way to have multiple trucks for snow removal, but not have to pay for the insurance for them year round! Thanks for your help! ~Emil :waving:
  2. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

anybody? anything?
  3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

my most profitable side service wouldnt work on your area cuase there are no palm trees. I have a long Echo Power Pruner and when I see palms that need trimmed, I just ask the homeower If I can do it. It is an easy sell, takes less then 5 minutes most of the time and I usually get to leave the cut fronds curbside for the yard waste garbage man to pick them up. I take them sometimes, but offer a "discount" if I can leave them curbside....
  4. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Come on people...over 200 viewing and only one person replys. Tell me what you think. Thanks
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

cauz it's really messed up... see you go through life hearing older ppl keep telling you things so you don't listen to most of them... then one day you find you ARE one of those older ppl and then you hear yourself telling the young'uns the SAME things you were told, and sure enough they don't listen either LOL !

as for me, I had to try a lot of different things so I could find what I liked to do and so then I stopped doing the things I did not like and kept doing the things I did like and in the end I'm not really any better off but at least the illusion of perfection sometimes appears, if briefly.

but i think you kinda have to do that part yourself, nobody else can do it for you because what works for them may or may not work for you. if you have to make a choice and you can not decide, then do one or the other, stick to it if it works and maybe try once or twice more if it doesn't but in the end you do what works for you and discard the rest.

good luck.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when started out offer a wide range of services that are in your ability
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

My suggestion: Quit the business and focus on college. I see too many young folks wanting to consider college as just an "add on" to other things they wish to do. College should be an immersion experience, not merely just having to go to some classes between times of doing other things. Collage can be far, far more than just academics, that is attending classes, taking tests, and getting a degree. College can prepare one for life's experiences in other terms such as being part of campus groups, learning to debate, think for one's self, enhancement of communication skills as part of writing, speaking, etc.

To try to squeeze college in between mowing lawns is depriving yourself of the investment of time and money. You are not taking away from college all you can.

Education is very important to me. I know many on LS have expressed it as a waste of time, money and effort, "... should have went to work right away out of high school, ... should have invested the money into my business," and other such comments. I'm over 64 and have watched many young people go through college selection, attending college, attend other specialized training programs, graduate school, and develop a career. Rarely do I see somebody gain much from college when it is simply an add-on to an already full-plate of other activities.

You have many, many years ahead of you do develop a business and career. Remember, at this point in time, the average person changes career more than four times during their lifetime. I think some reports have put the number at seven, not four. This means you need to be prepared to make many changes and a good education will prepare you to make changes and learn more. One of the primary objectives for college: Learn how to learn. A good college experience will enable you to to this end. Education is a life-long endeavor, not something that just happens at early ages. In a fast-moving society of 2006, globalization, volatile work enviornment, knowing how to educate yourself for the next step will be very important.
  8. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

My suggestion: Quit the business and focus on college.

I agree.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

if your business is that successful, why can't you find someone to manage it for you?
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto RF... reap the rewards while sticking to task in college.